View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Timed 8x8? 

Posted on: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:04 am

Post Timed 8x8?
What's with the new timed 8x8? [woot]
I solved one, and the table goes:
4x4 (4 done so far today)
5x5 (4 done so far today)
6x6 (4 done so far today)
8x8 (1 done so far today)
and the button for solving more timed puzzles has disappeared – it's probably wise to limit timed 8x8s to one per day so that we completists can still manage to achieve a bit IRL [biggrin]
But the 8x8 column under the heading "Today's 10 fastest puzzlers so far" still says "(no time set yet)" [crying]

(edited to add:) Solving today's 8x8 medium, I noticed that the puzzle was identical to the timed 8x8, so I assume the latter is still an experimental feature [smile]

Posted on: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:15 am

Post Re: Timed 8x8?
Little bug: The timed rankings show (for the new 8x8 - 1 attempt only as explained by bram) the points obtained yesterday, however those points for the 8x8 are not shown in the history and not added to the totals.

Btw, the timed 8x8 I solved yesterday was completely different than yesterday's Oct 26 or today's Oct 27 regular 8x8 medium.

(edited to add) Today's Oct 27 timed 8x8 is identical to today's Oct 27 8x8 medium as already observed by bram; btw, bram your original post was sent at 11:04 Oct 26, so I am a little bit confused (due to lack of new time tags when the posts are reedited), but I assume you are referring all the time to today's Oct 27 8x8 timed, the "second" 8x8 timed appeared, right? (and obviusly it is not being randomly selected if everyone gets the same puzzle, perhaps yesterday the "first" 8x8 timed was also the same for all puzzlers).

And only one attempt is allowed today as well.

Posted on: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:46 pm

I like these new 8x8s, but I too found that my timed puzzle was the same as the 8x8 medium for today, but I don't think that happened yesterday. Did anyone else find that their timed puzzle from yesterday was a lot easier than theirs for today? I found that I could whizz through the one yesterday, but today I gave up after a few minutes because I had gone wrong because I was trying to be too quick!

And I have also noticed that in the rankings for yesterday I was awarded 5+5+5+5=20 timed points, but in my history I have only been awarded 5+5+5=15 points. Any chance these could be added on or are we deliberately not getting any points for this puzzle?

I am not yet sure what my position is on only having one attempt at the puzzle, I think 4 would be excessive but maybe subscribers could have 2 tries just in case one of them goes disastrously bad?!

It will be interesting to see after a few weeks/months what the times to beat will be! (Especially as some of the fastest solvers don't seem to be on the scene at the moment... but I'm not complaining [wink] )

Posted on: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:51 pm

bram wrote:
What's with the new timed 8x8? [woot]

Testing it at the moment, and enabled for subscribers only for now.
bram wrote:
it's probably wise to limit timed 8x8s to one per day so that we completists can still manage to achieve a bit IRL [biggrin]

:-) Yes, limited to 1 / day.
bram wrote:
But the 8x8 column under the heading "Today's 10 fastest puzzlers so far" still says "(no time set yet)" [crying]

Sorry, will look into that, as well as the fact that you got a regular puzzle as your timed puzzle (?!),
which clearly shouldn't happen of course.

I wonder if other people experienced the same, and chose not to report..
The logs will tell [glare]

Posted on: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:52 pm

clm wrote:
Little bug: The timed rankings show (for the new 8x8 - 1 attempt only as explained by bram) the points obtained yesterday, however those points for the 8x8 are not shown in the history and not added to the totals.

Thanks, I'll fix that.

I was thinking of leaving the 8x8 timed "pointless", so it'd be for the timed puzzle lovers only
(and not the "completists" [wink] )

Posted on: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:54 pm

jas33 wrote:
but today I gave up after a few minutes because I had gone wrong because I was trying to be too quick!

Yes, that's my experience too, mistakes are very punishing in the larger puzzles..
jas33 wrote:
in my history I have only been awarded 5+5+5=15 points. Any chance these could be added on or are we deliberately not getting any points for this puzzle?

Yes, that's the idea (no points), see my previous post.
jas33 wrote:
but maybe subscribers could have 2 tries just in case one of them goes disastrously bad?!

It adds an edge to it though, having only 1 attempt [tongue]
(and for subscribers only at the moment)

Patrick

Posted on: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:34 pm

pnm wrote:
Sorry, will look into that, as well as the fact that you got a regular puzzle as your timed puzzle (?!),
which clearly shouldn't happen of course.

I wonder if other people experienced the same, and chose not to report..
The logs will tell [glare]

I like the bigger timed puzzles. I figured it was something you were testing so I thought I'd let you weigh in first, but when I first tried this I got today's 8x8 medium puzzle as my 8x8 timed puzzle as well, or at least something eerily similar. Now that I went back to the timed puzzle page I got a fresh puzzle.

One thing that become clear with the larger puzzles is how much I depend on the continuous error checking feature for typo correction. (It doesn't help that I solve puzzles on three different devices with different keyboard spacings.)

Also, any chance you could report the time to complete when you finish a regular puzzle larger than 6x6?

Posted on: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:45 pm

mparisi wrote:
I like the bigger timed puzzles. I figured it was something you were testing so I thought I'd let you weigh in first, but when I first tried this I got today's 8x8 medium puzzle as my 8x8 timed puzzle as well, or at least something eerily similar. Now that I went back to the timed puzzle page I got a fresh puzzle.

Yes, I just put in a fresh batch.
The "wrong puzzle bug" was because of some code that rejected the 8x8 easy (which the timed puzzles are),
because those are no longer on the site. Fixed now.
mparisi wrote:
(It doesn't help that I solve puzzles on three different devices with different keyboard spacings.)

All at the same time I'm guessing :-)
mparisi wrote:
Also, any chance you could report the time to complete when you finish a regular puzzle larger than 6x6?

Yes, will enable that for subscribers as well. Edit: this is in there now.

Patrick

Posted on: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:59 am

Patrick: just looked at 8x8 timed but below puzzle, the statement is that the puzzle is a 7x7.....but, there is a given #8....... plus the entire puzzle did not show up......there may be a few more "bugs" to finish off.....Ken

Posted on: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:55 am

beaker wrote:
Patrick: just looked at 8x8 timed but below puzzle, the statement is that the puzzle is a 7x7.....but, there is a given #8....... plus the entire puzzle did not show up......there may be a few more "bugs" to finish off.....Ken

In my case the puzzle appeared but I obtained this nice diagram (I specially like the blank cells and those 24x and 15+ in a single cell :-) :-)):

Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next