View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 on using a solver for the timed puzzles 

Posted on: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:15 am

Post Re: on using a solver for the timed puzzles
I don't know if it's due to the latest decisions taken about cheaters (or suspected of cheating).
In any case, it's the first time I succeed to be in the top 10 for the 4 timed puzzles in the same day.
I don't know if I'll able to do it again but I'm pretty happy. [smile] [smile] [smile]

Posted on: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:38 pm

I notice that some users strangely are often present in the top ten 8x8 speed rankings, and almost never in the other rankings
Others, despite being even less fast than me, are always present in the 8x8 with excellent times and this is somewhat anomalous.

Posted on: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:54 pm

angelwhite wrote:
I notice that some users strangely are often present in the top ten 8x8 speed rankings, and almost never in the other rankings
Others, despite being even less fast than me, are always present in the 8x8 with excellent times and this is somewhat anomalous.

I reasonably often manage to solve the timed 8x8 in less than 2m45s (thus meeting the requirement for the "speed demon" achievement for that particular size of puzzle) but virtually never see that kind of success with the 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6 timed puzzles. Indeed, I may even miss out on the less difficult "motor mouse" achievement this year because my best times for the timed 5x5 are stubbornly stuck just above 23s [sad] This undoubtedly has to do with me puzzling less frequently than I used to, even if it doesn't seem to affect my times in larger puzzles as much as in the smaller ones.

Sometimes the timed 8x8 I get (from a pool, or does every subscriber get the same timed 8x8 on a given day?) seems to be significantly more difficult than usual (or maybe I'm just missing some important clues), resulting in a distinctly unimpressive solving time (such as today's >7m).

The seeming anomaly that you've noticed may be due, at least in part, to the fact that the 8x8 is the only size of timed puzzle to be subscribers-only. For this reason, there are significantly fewer puzzlers solving timed 8x8s each day than the other sizes, and the lack of competition means that it's far easier to get into the top 10 in the day's rankings. Also, differences in input devices (keyboard, tablet, smartphone etc) may have a greater relative impact on solving times for smaller puzzles than for larger ones. Finally, different puzzlers have different strengths and weaknesses. In my own case, I apparently lack the knack for instant pattern recognition (and fast-typing skillz) needed to become a "speed demon" but fare comparatively better over the (slightly) long(er) haul.

Posted on: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:30 pm

angelwhite wrote:
I notice that some users strangely are often present in the top ten 8x8 speed rankings, and almost never in the other rankings. Others, despite being even less fast than me, are always present in the 8x8 with excellent times and this is somewhat anomalous.

Not quite the same, but I tend to finish in the top 25 for the 8x8 more often than not and I occasionally make it into the top ten. But I rarely finish in the top 25 for the other sizes, and never have for the 4x4.

In my case, the reason is simple. I always do the timed puzzles on my iPad or iPhone, using mostly my right hand. This really slows things down. I have tried doing it on a PC/laptop, but my left hand is pretty useless, so this tends to be no better than using an iPad/iPhone.

So I would guess that the conundrum you’re describing is due to a difference between speed of thought and finger speed.

Posted on: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:39 am

It's not a question of being in the top ten, but of times achieved, with the exception of monsters like jpoos, starling, rafaelhoukes, there are users who consistently set times under 3 minutes and often even under 2 minutes and this is for me anomalous. These are my 8x8 scoring stats for the year

1 points 26 times
2 points 152 times
3 points 156 times
4 points 16 times
5 points 1 times

this means my top ten percentage is 0.487 percent

I would love to get some similar stats from Patrick on other players

Posted on: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:24 pm

angelwhite wrote:

I am confused as I read this.

If I get an extra point, it is because I am in the top 25 of timed puzzle. I rarely get in the top 25 of the smaller puzzles, but often get into the top 25 of the 8 x 8.

Are you saying that what happens to me is anomalous?

Posted on: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:47 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
angelwhite wrote:

If I get an extra point, it is because I am in the top 25 of timed puzzle. I rarely get in the top 25 of the smaller puzzles, but often get into the top 25 of the 8 x 8.

I was also confused by this post, but I think it refers to top 10 rather than top 25 rankings. Having said this, I’m still somewhat confused!

Posted on: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:23 am

paulv66 wrote:
eclipsegirl wrote:
angelwhite wrote:

I was also confused by this post, but I think it refers to top 10 rather than top 25 rankings. Having said this, I’m still somewhat confused!

Exactly I'm talking about the top ten and in particular about a person who has almost 100% of times under 3 or two minutes with the exception of the three monsters I mentioned

Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3