View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Fastest time on a previously solved puzzle 

Posted on: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Post Re: Fastest time on a previously solved puzzle
Just tried this again, but this time I recorded it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IybFAXYyvGk
The fastest time, a 1.885, is at the end of the video. Got a few sub 2's, most are between 2 and 2.5 seconds. Also a whole lot go wrong [huh]
Sometime I close my eyes when typing, hence sometimes I don't see that a puzzle goes wrong.

Posted on: Sat May 25, 2019 6:30 pm

I just got a crazy 2.233 on today's medium 4x4... [blink]

Posted on: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:49 pm

Just finally got my first sub-2: 1.929 at today's medium 4*4.
That's still a somewhat slower than jpoos's 1.782.
However, as I don't have a very efficient 'route' at the diagonal pattern (35 keystrokes, whereas 31 would be the most efficient), I got more keystrokes per second [cool] (18.14 instead of 17.40).

Posted on: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:22 am

Just solved today's 4x4 in 1,771, unofficially the fastest previously solved puzzle ever! [woot]

Posted on: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:11 am

That’s amazing. What technique did you use?

Posted on: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:41 pm

Because I kept failing at moving right-down-left-down-right-down-left at the two rightmost mini blocks, I decided to use an extra movement:
down-right-up-right-down-right-up - down-down - down-left-up-left-down-left-up. With this path, I only had to perform two different movements, which was definitely faster than the more efficient one I used before (using 15 arrow keys instead of 16).

Posted on: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:10 pm

rafaelhoukes wrote:
Because I kept failing at moving right-down-left-down-right-down-left at the two rightmost mini blocks, I decided to use an extra movement:
down-right-up-right-down-right-up - down-down - down-left-up-left-down-left-up. With this path, I only had to perform two different movements, which was definitely faster than the more efficient one I used before (using 15 arrow keys instead of 16).

Thanks for that. You must have amazing dexterity to be able to press the keys that quickly. Are you left or right handed and do you use the number pad or the number keys along the top of the keyboard?

Posted on: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:52 am

I am left-handed, but I don't think that really matters. What does matter is using the number keys on my keyboard. That's really much faster than the number pad.
For example: if I would use the number pad, solving a puzzle in 1,771 would mean 17,50 clicks a second on the number pad and the puzzle, for which one would normally use two fingers. So that means almost nine moves per finger per second, not even including moving around the puzzle. The keyboard allows you to use more fingers and doesn't require them to move (a lot). Then, one only needs a bit of dexterity and some muscle memory to press the keys in the right order.

Posted on: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:07 pm

rafaelhoukes wrote:
I am left-handed, but I don't think that really matters. What does matter is using the number keys on my keyboard. That's really much faster than the number pad.
For example: if I would use the number pad, solving a puzzle in 1,771 would mean 17,50 clicks a second on the number pad and the puzzle, for which one would normally use two fingers. So that means almost nine moves per finger per second, not even including moving around the puzzle. The keyboard allows you to use more fingers and doesn't require them to move (a lot). Then, one only needs a bit of dexterity and some muscle memory to press the keys in the right order.

Thanks Rafael [namaste]

I think being left handed probably confers a slight advantage because of the way most keyboards are configured, with the arrow keys to the right of the main keyboard. But that doesn’t make your speed any less astonishing!

My issue is having an extremely dominant right hand and I will need a lot of perseverance and hours of practice to train my left hand to be anything within about 10% of the speed at which you are able to enter the numbers. Whether I can generate sufficient determination to do this remains to be seen!

Posted on: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Could be an interesting stat, correlation between handedness and fastest times [confused]

Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next