View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 before jpoos 

Posted on: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:16 pm

before jpoos
Timed rankings sometimes look good before jpoos has done the timed puzzles...:

[lol]

Posted on: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Post Re: before jpoos
Sorry [biggrin]

Posted on: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:00 pm

Yes, I expected a reply like that [scared]

Posted on: Fri May 03, 2019 5:19 am

Wow! I'm still in complete awe!

When I was somewhat more active in a past life (aka not recently and far too many moons ago), I was able to get down to personal bests of 7s, 17s and 38s (on 4x, 5x and 6x resp.), i.e. top 50 or so individuals, but only if I lucked out. Add another 50% on average day-to-day for 5x and 6x. Seems that top puzzlers are consistently shaving off ~33% more on my personal bests.

Are top puzzlers making good guesses or are they solving them systematically? If so, how? I figure my computational and typing speeds are quite fast, but then again it's all relative... or I suppose. Someone who finishes at half my rate could very well be in the same quandary about my computational and typing speed.

Thoughts and suggestions on how to improve? Or code secrets?

Posted on: Sun May 05, 2019 6:44 pm

gp_20017 wrote:
Are top puzzlers making good guesses or are they solving them systematically? If so, how? I figure my computational and typing speeds are quite fast, but then again it's all relative... or I suppose. Someone who finishes at half my rate could very well be in the same quandary about my computational and typing speed.

You might want to take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKJvp3F9rtA
Generally, systematic solving is the key to consistent fast solves, but guessing can give personal bests.
By far the best way to improve is practice. I don't think there is such a thing as too much practice: even after five years, I still feel as if I'm getting faster.

Posted on: Tue May 07, 2019 5:25 am

jpoos wrote:
gp_20017 wrote:

You might want to take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKJvp3F9rtA
Generally, systematic solving is the key to consistent fast solves, but guessing can give personal bests.
By far the best way to improve is practice. I don't think there is such a thing as too much practice: even after five years, I still feel as if I'm getting faster.

Thanks for the video! Looks like it comes to practice and refinement on where to look next to solve.

Posted on: Wed May 08, 2019 12:43 am

jpoos wrote:
I don't think there is such a thing as too much practice: even after five years, I still feel as if I'm getting faster.

[scared] Jpoos, you scare me

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]