View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Year To Date Ranking 

Posted on: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:40 pm

Post Year To Date Ranking
Hi everybody and Happy New Year from Italy!

Am I wrong or the Year To Date Ranking list should have started from 0 again since Yesterday night? [confused]

Ciao
Vittorio

Posted on: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Post Re: Year To Date Ranking
vittorio wrote:
Am I wrong or the Year To Date Ranking list should have started from 0 again since Yesterday night? [confused]

Yes, they should have started from zero,
not too many opportunities to test that code though [lol]

(this was the first test I think)(failed [glare] )

edit: should be better now. When I find some time I'll add Year To Date rankings of previous years.

Posted on: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:31 pm

pnm wrote:

edit: should be better now. When I find some time I'll add Year To Date rankings of previous years.

Having other years YTD rankings would be a lot of fun to see how well people did.

[thumbsup]

Posted on: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:19 am

I made a few observations that might be helpful in ironing out possible turn-of-the-year glitches in the year-to-date rankings.
Checking my own year-to-date score a number of times this evening, I found it to be:

48 points after I solved all calcudokus published today, including the 8-point Extra puzzle;
    55 points after I also solved the 7-point (medium) Killer sudoku published today:
    57 points after I also solved both sudokus published today (0-point and 2-point, respectively);
    57 points (still) after I also solved the Bonus puzzle that became available to me today.

I believe all of this to be expected behavior from the algorithm: excluding points from Bonus (and Book/Special and Timed) puzzles from the year-to-day rankings so everyone can earn an equal score from "perfect attendance". I'd expect those 57 points to be the "theoretical maximum" as of 1 January 2020, and it's indeed the score held by mparisi, clm and a number of other venerated complet(e)ists :-)

But then my score grew further [scared] to

A few puzzlers other than me also have a year-to-date score above 57 points, one of whom currently has 69 points. That would be consistent with them having solved yesterday's 9x9 on the date of publication (and having it count yesterday/last year instead og today/this year) while deferring yesterday's user-submitted puzzle from fzpowerman47 (worth 12 points, solved by me yesterday,very entertaining [thumbup]) until today and possibly having it count towards this year's year-to-date score even though user-submitted puzzles are eternally available [confused]

Posted on: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:32 am

Bram,
TY for your details. I noticed similar behavior. I had finished the user created 12 x 12 on Dec 31 so I could not get those 12 pts, and the points were added to my 2019 Year To Date rankings.

Patrick is aware of these issues. The Site had a few false starts last year before it was realized that only the dailies with no Bonus points, no book points should count toward the Year To Date rankings. I believe Patrick will also realize that the ‘eternal’ puzzles (user submitted puzzles and special (year end) puzzles) should not count toward Year To Date Rankings (or if they do, they should only count in the year the puzzles were published).

It is only Jan 2 2020.

Eclipsegirl

Posted on: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:58 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
Bram,
TY for your details. I noticed similar behavior. I had finished the user created 12 x 12 on Dec 31 so I could not get those 12 pts, and the points were added to my 2019 Year To Date rankings.

Patrick is aware of these issues. The Site had a few false starts last year before it was realized that only the dailies with no Bonus points, no book points should count toward the Year To Date rankings. I believe Patrick will also realize that the ‘eternal’ puzzles (user submitted puzzles and special (year end) puzzles) should not count toward Year To Date Rankings (or if they do, they should only count in the year the puzzles were published).

It is only Jan 2 2020.

Eclipsegirl

I presume Patrick will apply the same protocol to the 2020 rankings as he applied in 2019. Only puzzles published in 2020 will count towards the 2020 rankings. The current listing seems to include any points earned yesterday for solving Tuesday’s 9x9.

Posted on: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:53 pm

Year to date totals seem to still be including Tuesday’s 9x9 (where solved on Wednesday) and the most recent user created puzzle (where solved this year). This differs from last year’s approach where only puzzles published in 2019 counted towards the 2019 total.

Maybe I’m being premature in mentioning this?

Posted on: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:10 pm

Yes, I did not get round to fixing this yet ... [bored]

Posted on: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:52 am

pnm wrote:
Yes, I did not get round to fixing this yet ... [bored]

I almost PMed you but then decided that you didnt need to be reminded.
You do a lot for this place and deserve a few days off.

Last year, it took a while to work out all the kinks of scoring.
I encourage others to be patient.

Patrick will get this sorted out, like he did last year.
It in only Jan 4.

Posted on: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:16 pm

This should be fixed & updated now:

- user puzzles no longer count towards Year To Date total

- "multi day" puzzles count towards the total of the year they're published
(so the difficult 9x9 of Tuesday Dec 31st does not count towards the 2020 total, even when solved in 2020)

Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next