View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Daily puzzles Solution submission issues 

Posted on: Sun May 17, 2020 12:59 pm

Post Daily puzzles Solution submission issues
Seems like I am experiencing a new problem on the site. I am logged in, and I can access the puzzles, seemingly without much delay (page processing time 0.14 seconds; page loading 1.07 seconds - sometimes even less than that).

But whenever i submit them, the server (eventually) times out on me. I am doing them now, save them, and hope it gets resolved soon. Changing nationality (I tried Netherlands as well as Japan) does not work, and I can see people from those countries successfully submitting solutions. Clearing Cache / browser history does not work. Changing browsers does not work.

Also, I can't access the forum, to report it there / see if others have reported similar issues. I am getting a HTTP 500 error then.

Finally as I was about to send you a message, after trying again, the solutions suddenly could be submitted (hence there are 8 solutions in ten seconds submitted by me). Not sure what the cause is, whether it was a local issue in Kenya (possible, but the rest of the internet was working fine) , or whether maybe the servers / scripts was having an issue (like with the Kenyan flag from an external database that suddenly stopped working.

Either way, just wanted to let you know.

Posted on: Sun May 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Post Re: Daily puzzles Solution submission issues
Thanks for letting me know: it looks like the cause is that you're connected from a new IP address
(i.e. one you haven't used before, and also one that is not in my database).

If this happens, the country code for the IP is requested from an online service: for some reason
this is timing out / failing: this explains the timeouts you're seeing, and the missing flag.

This online service is indeed down at the moment. I'll look into using a different service,
and will also lower the timeout (so when it fails, you at least don't have to wait forever..)

Patrick

Posted on: Sun May 17, 2020 1:50 pm

At least that is sorted then. Is it a possibility to check against a second database if the first fails? With lower time-out bounds, that would dramatically reduce the chances for time-outs.

Posted on: Sun May 17, 2020 2:05 pm

ddarthez wrote:
At least that is sorted then. Is it a possibility to check against a second database if the first fails? With lower time-out bounds, that would dramatically reduce the chances for time-outs.

The timeout used was a "default system socket timeout", which was set to 60 seconds (!)

I lowered it to 10 seconds.

The failing service at the moment is "ip2c.org".

I see there's another one at "ip2c.info", I suppose I could try that one..

Patrick

Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]