View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:21 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Long term puzzler rankings 

Posted on: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:57 pm

Post Re: Long term puzzler rankings
THANK YOU, Bram :)

Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:30 am

Beaker, Good to see you back in the top 100 for world 7 day rankings and rising fast.

Posted on: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:46 am

Oh my. I wish you a swift recovery, beaker.

Actually, this is something that's really bugging me: if something happens to me (or my internet connection) I'll lose my progress; not only on this particular site – I've got some other games with daily routines as well, and not all of them are compatible with mobile devices (i.e. I can't launch them while not at home).

And I think I know how to solve the problem here at Calcudoku.
Each user will have an option: keep points or keep streak.
When a new day starts and no puzzles have been solved within the previous 24 hours:
• “Keep points” mode will simply reset current streak to zero (this is what we've got now).
• “Keep streak” will freeze the streak, but subtract some significant amount of points (50? 100? 500?) as a penalty. After returning, the user will be able to continue from where he/she stopped.

// This is not my idea; I've borrowed it from Plurk, which is sort of Taiwanese Twitter, but with one annoying feature: the so-called “Karma” (points of activity). Publishing posts, adding friends, receiving comments will increase your Karma, but if you haven't posted anything within 24 hours you'll start losing points pretty quickly (roughly speaking, it's +1 for a post and −3 for forgetting to post). However, you can go into “vacation mode”, that is, freeze your state (this will cost you 50 points), so that the Karma will remain at the same level – regardless of how active you are – until you decide to unfreeze it.

Profile WWW

Posted on: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:50 am

Would rather keep my day streak and points accumulated.......instead of one or the other [biggrin]

Posted on: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:26 am

ambidexter wrote:
And I think I know how to solve the problem here at Calcudoku.
Each user will have an option: keep points or keep streak.

Interesting idea, yes, but I'd like to keep the stats "true".

With this "pay point to keep your streak" option you'll never know for sure if your streak is actually longer than someone else's, for example.

Posted on: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:38 pm

I suppose a 'holiday' feature could be implemented - i.e. you notify that on a future date you will not be available to solve puzzles. That should then not count as a day for the streak lasting, but simply as a non-reset (so you are not actually lengthening the streak). Obviously people taking a holiday would still get the hit on the yearly rankings, and not score the actual points of course. Obviously, those 'holidays' should be limited in nature, say something like 12 per year. A holiday count can also simply be counted, so a streak could display 1500 days, 3 holidays used.

One problem is of course that medical emergencies and the like don't come expected (they did not for me 4 years ago, and that is probably true for beaker as well). But at least something like this could help out, when people have to travel halfway across the world, or go on holidays without access to internet. Or when people know in advance that they will have to undergo surgery.

Posted on: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestion and for bumping the thread [thumbup]

I had a "recompute" all set up a few weeks ago, but forgot to run it [blush]

Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2