View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:27 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 database server crashes today 

Posted on: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:44 pm

database server crashes today
.. which is why so many of you saw the "could not connect" error,
and/or errors when submitting a puzzle solution.

A process that checks the database ran out of memory, so I decided to upgrade the server (double disk, double memory, double CPU)
(double cost [scared] ), but the upgrade process failed (!)

So I had to check with my server provider, once that was fixed do the database check,
check and fix the backup server (a separate server runs a continuous backup of the database), etc. etc... [blink]

Everything should work again now [namaste]

Posted on: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:07 pm

Post Re: database server crashes today
When the server crashes, which happened today while solving the timed puzzle, the program records that the solution is over. It's very frustrating when solving a single 8x8 puzzle.
It would be good, at least in the case of timed 8x8, to allow solving another new timed puzzle.

Posted on: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:19 pm

mikas wrote:
When the server crashes, which happened today while solving the timed puzzle, the program records that the solution is over. It's very frustrating when solving a single 8x8 puzzle.
It would be good, at least in the case of timed 8x8, to allow solving another new timed puzzle.

I can reset it for you for today if you want?
edit: ok, it's been reset. Of course I'm hoping you didn't score a record-breaking time (?)

It's a bit of a project to try and figure out who was on a timed puzzle when this happened [bored]

Posted on: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:32 pm

Thank you,
I wish you wisdom and patience. [cool]

Posted on: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:11 pm

pnm wrote:
.. which is why so many of you saw the "could not connect" error,
and/or errors when submitting a puzzle solution.

A process that checks the database ran out of memory, so I decided to upgrade the server (double disk, double memory, double CPU)
(double cost [scared] ), but the upgrade process failed (!)

So I had to check with my server provider, once that was fixed do the database check,
check and fix the backup server (a separate server runs a continuous backup of the database), etc. etc... [blink]

Everything should work again now [namaste]

Thanks Patrick. Unfortunately, not everything is working from my perspective.

I tried submitting today’s easy 4x4 again just now and I’m still getting a message saying that I’ve already submitted it and that I’m not entitled to a point for solving the puzzle. My total for the year to date is still one point short of the maximum.

Is there any chance you could reset the database so that I’m able to resubmit my solution and this time receive a point for it, please? It will be very frustrating for me if I remain one point behind through no fault of my own.

Posted on: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:56 pm

paulv66 wrote:
Thanks Patrick. Unfortunately, not everything is working from my perspective.

I tried submitting today’s easy 4x4 again just now and I’m still getting a message saying that I’ve already submitted it and that I’m not entitled to a point for solving the puzzle. My total for the year to date is still one point short of the maximum.

Is there any chance you could reset the database so that I’m able to resubmit my solution and this time receive a point for it, please? It will be very frustrating for me if I remain one point behind through no fault of my own.

I can do a "total recompute" for a specific account, will do that for yours.

edit: should be updated now.

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]