View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 login (session) timeouts 

Posted on: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:23 pm

login (session) timeouts
Hello,

I'd like to fix this issue once and for all.

I recently put in a small fix/improvement for this, and would
like to know if it's helping.

So my questions are:
- are people still experiencing unwanted session timeouts?
(i.e. you just solved a large puzzle, and the site tells you you're not logged in?)
- any idea about how long it takes for the session to timeout?

The session timeout for the site is _supposed_ to be 24 hours,
but obviously that isn't happening :-(

thanks,

Patrick

Posted on: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Post Re: login (session) timeouts
This happens many times to me and it is very frustrating to solve with Paint one 12x12, pass the values to the site and at the end "You are not logged in". I hope from now on the problem is fixed.

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:03 am

That's happened to me a couple of times when doing 12x12's. A possible option is to enter a few lines worth of numbers that you've already solved and save them for later. That way, the webpage will have less of an opportunity to log you out since you don't have that many numbers to enter all at once.

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:27 am

skeeter84 wrote:
That's happened to me a couple of times when doing 12x12's. A possible option is to enter a few lines worth of numbers that you've already solved and save them for later. That way, the webpage will have less of an opportunity to log you out since you don't have that many numbers to enter all at once.

I did it many times, but I forgot several times. And when I forgot it's when that damned problem happened. [angry] [mad]

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:50 pm

jomapil wrote:
skeeter84 wrote:

I did it many times, but I forgot several times. And when I forgot it's when that damned problem happened. [angry] [mad]

For a long time, now, I've been clicking the "Save for later" button to check that I've got internet connectivity (sometimes my wireless drops unexpectedly) and that I'm still logged in.

Imagine my frustration the other day when I clicked the "Save for later" button, got a timestamp, and then when I entered the last number in the puzzle, it immediately gave me the "You are not logged in" message! Then when I logged in, I saw that it had NOT saved my puzzle! [angry] [angry] [angry] How did it give me a timestamp, then?

Patrick, I'm not sure whether the problem has been fixed or not, but it hasn't happened to me in the last few days. I'll let you know if I see it again.

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:28 pm

pharosian wrote:
Imagine my frustration the other day when I clicked the "Save for later" button, got a timestamp, and then when I entered the last number in the puzzle, it immediately gave me the "You are not logged in" message! Then when I logged in, I saw that it had NOT saved my puzzle! [angry] [angry] [angry] How did it give me a timestamp, then?

I'll investigate. It only is supposed to give you the timestamp if it got the OK from the script that saves the puzzle state.

In other news, I've put in a "hack" which refreshes the session every 10 minutes
(so it calls a script on the server every 10 minutes).
Not a pretty solution, but if it works, I'll be happy :-)

Patrick

Posted on: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:07 am

I was just told I wasn't logged in after doing yesterday's 10x10 extra. It didn't even take me that long; less than an hour for sure, and I had done another puzzle before that.

Something to note: I didn't have to log in to do the that first puzzle; I must have already been logged in from earlier in the evening. There's got to be some timer that is running out that isn't being updated by whatever fix you're trying.

Another bug: When I was told I wasn't logged in, the pop-up window also told me I would have received 14 points for doing the 10x10 extra. When I logged back in and reentered the numbers, I only got the 8 points I expected. I wonder where that 14 came from.

Posted on: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:14 am

jake4 wrote:
I was just told I wasn't logged in after doing yesterday's 10x10 extra. It didn't even take me that long; less than an hour for sure, and I had done another puzzle before that.

Thanks, that's useful info: this tells me that the "refresh session every 10 minutes" thing doesn't work :-(
jake4 wrote:
Another bug: When I was told I wasn't logged in, the pop-up window also told me I would have received 14 points for doing the 10x10 extra. When I logged back in and reentered the numbers, I only got the 8 points I expected. I wonder where that 14 came from.

It's one of those situations that never should have happened: you can only do the extra puzzle when
you're logged in, and only when you're logged in, it does the proper checking if the puzzle was a timed puzzle,
book puzzle, extra puzzle, etc.

Patrick

Posted on: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:21 pm

I also just got the "You are not logged in" message when I completed the 10x10 extra puzzle!

I clicked "Save for later" and got a timestamp of 9:11:56 (Eastern), entered my last uncompleted cell, and got the message! It also told me I would have received 14 points...

Posted on: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Post session expiration problem
pnm wrote:
jomapil wrote:
Have you already corrected this bug? I thought you did but today I have 468 regular points and there are others with impossible 494, 484 similar points!

No, not yet, I was (even today) working on the session expiration issue.

Here's some good news, Patrick; from what I've seen over the past few days, the session expiration problem has been fixed! I usually visit the site a couple times a day, and I haven't had to log in for a few days, which seems to be what should be expected. [biggrin]

Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next