View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:17 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Timed puzzles 

Posted on: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:44 am

Post Timed puzzles
In the last days I have been experiencing serious problems with the timed puzzles (4x4's, 5x5's and 6x6's), speed problems?, server problems?, ... .

Several times, after submitting the solution, I have received the message "an error occurred when transmitting your solution ... " (for instance, yesterday I had that problem with the four attempts for the 4x4's and I could not complete any of them, so 1 point less, ... and my actual record of total number of puzzles solved is in danger :-) :-) ). This is very frustrating since the count always advances.

And, what is worse, more frequently receiving the top and bottom information of the page but not the puzzle itself, all the space reserved empty (today 2 attempts in the 5x5's and 1 attempt in the 6x6's, so I have stopped for the moment trying to solve them). However, in this case, the count also advances [confused] [confused]. The question is: if the puzzle is not received, and no solution has been entered, nor sent, why the count advances? (even you receive the indication below, that the counter has increased, inmediately, prior of elapsing the theorical 18 minutes of maximun time allowed, etc.).

Another strange situation, less frequent, is receiving the puzzle in a ridiculous size, very very small; in fact, I have solved some of these in the past :-) :-), it's funny, the size increases anytime you enter new numbers, and it takes more time, of course, but there is not the possibility of changing the size in real time, as with the regular puzzles, unless loosing the actual attempt.

Could these conditions be improved, so that the timed had the same features of the regular puzzles, during the solution process, and also to have something more "consistent" at the time of counting the attempts/solutions ?.

Posted on: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:01 pm

Post Re: Timed puzzles
The puzzle is counted as soon as it is requested (it is not possible for me
to detect that the puzzle did not arrive at your end [mellow] )

All the things you describe are clearly network issues, where the page does not load completely

(the strange sizes indicate missing "style" information, for example).

I think the thing to do is to make the timed puzzle page as light as possible, I'll see if I can remove more stuff from it.

Patrick

Posted on: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:06 pm

In response to clm's comments, I constantly get the 8x8 timed puzzle as "large" and of course lose time as I have to convert it to medium.........also, yesterday was confusing as every time I solved a puzzle it did turn green but the line showing the puzzles didnT and then when I clicked on it to do again, then it too turned green and points were awarded......just a "glitch", I suppose........confused me the 1st time but after that I knew what to do [smile] !!

Posted on: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:13 pm

beaker wrote:
In response to clm's comments, I constantly get the 8x8 timed puzzle as "large" and of course lose time as I have to convert it to medium....

So that's what's been keeping you out of the top 10! [tongue]

Edit: the cell size is stored for each puzzle size separately. So if you go to a regular 8x8 and set
the cell size to medium, then the timed 8x8 should appear with medium sized cells right from the start.

Posted on: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:16 am

[biggrin] .......yes that must be the reason.....thank you for the suggestion.

Posted on: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:14 am

I have also experienced weird problems that I put down to network issues. I never saw the really small size, but on several occasions I got an error that said "No data received", and on one occasion, the puzzle page was displayed, but the area where the puzzle grid and timer should be was completely blank. [angry]

Posted on: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 am

Re: Timed puzzles
I've made a few changes to the timed puzzle page that'll make it load faster.

(no like etc. buttons, no solved puzzles ticker, no flag counter)

Patrick

Posted on: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Today, I had another "an error occurred while submitting your solution", on my fourth try for the 4x4. This was a time of approximately 4 seconds. I would just let it go, except that now pnm is in first place for today, and I can't let that happen of course :/

Posted on: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:09 pm

sheldolina wrote:
Today, I had another "an error occurred while submitting your solution", on my fourth try for the 4x4. This was a time of approximately 4 seconds. I would just let it go, except that now pnm is in first place for today, and I can't let that happen of course :/

Yes, it was the only way I could get to 1st place [lol]

Posted on: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:26 am

clm wrote:
In the last days I have been experiencing serious problems with the timed puzzles ...

Still having many problems, specially with the 4x4 timed ???, in fact I could not load any of these since Dec 18 (problems with the different attempts of the 5x5's too, but less problems with the 6x6's or the 8x8, in general around a 50% of success more or less), the behaviour is the same with the Explorer and the Chrome in this case.

I am using an usb modem and I understand that the connection speed can affect the timed puzzles process, or maybe it's the server, ... , but the thing is that when I am waiting for the 4x4, it takes a very long time and it looks like the process "freezes" the page ??? (in other words, I can not "escape" the page), the data transfer of the modem drops practically to 0.0 and I can not open any additional Calcudoku page (when solving the normal puzzles I simultaneusly use several pages without problems), neither using the Explorer or the Chrome, so only after some (long) time has elapsed the page is released and I can access again the site (other sites open normally).

Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next