View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Cells turning green when using pencil 

Posted on: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:05 am

Post Re: Cells turning green when using pencil
pnm wrote:
And maybe the "stronger" green should be for a bolded number,
and the "weaker" green for the guesses (or a different colour altogether)

I vote for a different color. It has become too confusing.
If I designed the interface, I would save the green for bolded cells, while the current cell could be highlighted yellow (although orange is fine too) in normal mode and bluish-gray in pencil mode.
In fact, any color will do, but please make it something other than green.

Profile WWW

Posted on: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:51 am

Patrick,
Do you know anyone who is color blind?

I grew up with someone who was red / green color blind and now know a person who is completely color blind. I know that challenge is very unusual. Just thinking that people who deal with this challenge see shades of gray. I do not know if that related to the amount of saturation of the color, but I suspect it may be.

Maybe the % of the members of this who are colorblind is so small it doesn't matter. Some times I over think things.

Posted on: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 am

Quote:
Do you know anyone who is color blind?

I am not colour blind, but I do have very bad eyesight, for me having the cell colour changing as I enter pencil marks is making it very difficult for me to see what I am entering.

I usually copy the puzzles to my own software so that I can more easily see what I am doing, but this latest change makes it so that I will have to do it for all puzzles.

I don't expect anything to be changed just for me, but I thought that I would share my experience of how this might have unexpected consequences for some users.

Posted on: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:08 am

eclipsegirl wrote:
I never wanted the keyboard to be pencil when pencil was triggered, I loved the ability to enter a Known number and enter pencil marks at the same time. Now I have to turn on and offf the pencil to work a puzzles and it takes more time. [angry]

I agree with eclipsegirl. I always liked being able to use the keyboard to enter numbers while using the grid to enter guesses without having to toggle the pencil setting on and off.

Mind you, I mainly use my iPad for doing puzzles, so it doesn't affect me that much.

Posted on: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:20 am

I use only my desktop, so it cost me a lot of more time to solve these puzzles. When you've solved them for more than four years, day in day out, you made a certain system your own to solve them. Now I have to switch the pencil on and off every time when I want to fill in a digit when pencilmode is on. Before it was way easier to use my keypath for that in the pencilmode. Please make it a chooseable function.

Posted on: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:52 pm

Ok ok I'm caving under the relentless public pressure [tongue]

That particular change has been reverted (so if the pencil is enabled,
keyboard keys enter regular digits again)

edit: and the colour was changed as you saw

The point about colour blindness is valid, I thought of that as well a while ago.
There must be sites that show what a site looks like for colourblind people, could check that out.

And eclipsegirl: I replied to your email, but it was returned:
Code:
Your message to ... has been blocked. See technical details below for more information.

Posted on: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:31 pm

THANK YOU [namaste]

I really really appreciate this.

Posted on: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:54 pm

The colour is still changing when I press the shift key to enter a pencil mark, I know I am in pencil mode because I have have pressed shift, so having the colour change does not serve any purpose, it just makes it very difficult for me to see. There are probably other users with a visual impairment, and perhaps others are not having any difficulty with the colour changing as they type, but for me this small change is making it unusable.

Posted on: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 pm

michaele wrote:
The colour is still changing when I press the shift key to enter a pencil mark, I know I am in pencil mode because I have have pressed shift, so having the colour change does not serve any purpose, it just makes it very difficult for me to see. There are probably other users with a visual impairment, and perhaps others are not having any difficulty with the colour changing as they type, but for me this small change is making it unusable.

The colour change is there for consistency
(i.e. double feedback that you're entering guesses).

I can look at coding an exception for your account?
(that'd be quicker than making it a configurable option)

Patrick

Posted on: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:59 am

Thank you for caving in before I sent all the non-too flattering comments that were going through my mind about the change to the use of the keyboard. Needless to say it was getting very annoying and frustrating. I'm back to being a happy puzzler! [biggrin]

PS. The colour changes don't bother me but I might get my son to take a look as he has some red-green colour blindness thanks to my wife passing down the gene for it.

Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next