View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Rankings by year 

Posted on: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:19 am

Post Re: Rankings by year
I have often tried that with a number of short term cutbacks.....but, that's all they were "short term cutbacks"......always followed by "full on" again.....good luck [biggrin]....I did stop the 8x8 timed for quite awhile but succumbed to its "call" last night!!!

Posted on: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:51 am

Just go cold/warm turkey like I did Paul. I decided a month or so ago to cut back on my calcudoku time. I love doing them & it keeps my old brain ticking over & getting a bit of mental stimulation but was just taking too much time to complete every day. I went into the City for a catch up lunch with my old work colleagues (I took a redundancy back in March 2020 & still looking for work) & got home late afternoon & first thing I thought was I have to go & do today's calcudoku's. I think i went to bed some time after 11 PM (not all time was spent calcing though) & thought this is ridiculous its taking over my life. I did the same thing years & years ago with TV where it got to the stage that you had to be home every night to watch a show (Was in the time before everything was available online to watch at your own convenience).

I'd got to #2 in Australia & top 40 ish in the World (I spent a lot of early years not even worrying about points) so didn't really have anything else left to really conquer so decided to let my subscription lapse when it was due around Xmas & just logon each day & do the puzzles I enjoy doing. Most days there's at least one type of puzzle I enjoy but some weeks that is the subscribers only puzzle so I take a break that day, I've gone from up to 4 hours on some days but usually at least 2-3 a day to maybe 10-30 mins now. I've gone back to all my old book puzzles I never had time to look at & have started working on them now also to still get my brain ticking over & just do them for a small amount of time & come back to later on or next day.

This has been far & away the best site i've found along my internet travels & I wholeheartedly thank Patrick for the great work he does & even now it's still evolving after all these years with the addition of achievements (a bit dirty that came in after i'd stopped doing as much lol). I know i'll probably miss doing every puzzle everyday (or at least attempting anyway) & who knows sometime down the track I may get back to doing more & taking out another subscription.

Posted on: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:46 pm

My obsession with not letting myself be defeated by a puzzle overcame my more sensible thought that I should ease back a bit.

Rather than complete today’s final puzzle (and yesterday’s) extra, I decided to have another crack at yesterday’s Killer. It took a bit of trial and error, but I finally got there. Zero points though.

It’s showing the puzzle as having been solved 110 times, which is way down on the usual number. And I think it was only 98 at midnight CET, so some of the more recent solvers may have taken a peek at the solution. I’m glad I resisted the temptation to do this, but I am concerned that my obsession doesn’t appear to have been tempered by yesterday’s failure.

Posted on: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:49 pm

it's true, the yesterday's 9x9 killer was, I think too, very difficult

Posted on: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:47 pm

Paul,
I hear you.
I have been there.

You, and others deserve congrats for being at the top of the Year To Date ranking for two years in a row.

Yes, yesterdays KS was difficult. I was a bit anxious about that one too.
It was not popping and it was a T & E slog for me.

Do what you need to do for your mental health.

E-girl

Posted on: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:01 am

eclipsegirl wrote:
Paul,
I hear you.
I have been there.

You, and others deserve congrats for being at the top of the Year To Date ranking for two years in a row.

Yes, yesterdays KS was difficult. I was a bit anxious about that one too.
It was not popping and it was a T & E slog for me.

Do what you need to do for your mental health.

E-girl

Thanks Eclipse Girl

I’ve found that the puzzles that tend to give me the most problems in recent weeks are the difficult Killer sudokus on Fridays and Saturdays. I think I need to tackle them early in the day as if it leave it until later and then get stuck, I tend to panic.

Mental health is another issue altogether. Doing the puzzles keeps my brain active, but the level of anxiety I feel if I get stuck can sometimes be a high price to pay. I guess it’s a question of finding the right balance. Not sure I’m there yet, but hopefully I’ll get there at some stage.

Paul

Posted on: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:45 am

In general, I find the Friday and Say=turday difficult KS the toughest puzzles.

I only get anxious about the Tues 9 x 9 when its the horrible pattern.

I am lucky.
The puzzles appear at 5:00 pm (17:00) for me.
I do a number of puzzles in the evening and then finish them the next day.

Posted on: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:40 am

eclipsegirl wrote:
In general, I find the Friday and Saturday difficult KS the toughest puzzles.

I only get anxious about the Tues 9 x 9 when its the horrible pattern.

I am lucky.
The puzzles appear at 5:00 pm (17:00) for me.
I do a number of puzzles in the evening and then finish them the next day.

Posted on: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:42 pm

Yesterday, I forgot that I hadn’t submitted the 9x9 puzzle or any of the timed puzzles. I don’t know whether I should take this as a good sign that I’m not letting it be such an obsession [smile] or a bad sign that I’m becoming confused and forgetful! [confused]

Posted on: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:56 pm

paulv66 wrote:
Yesterday, I forgot that I hadn’t submitted the 9x9 puzzle or any of the timed puzzles. I don’t know whether I should take this as a good sign that I’m not letting it be such an obsession [smile] or a bad sign that I’m becoming confused and forgetful! [confused]

I would take it as a good sign. [thumbsup]

Reply to topic   [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next