View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Rankings by year 

Posted on: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:47 pm

Post Re: Rankings by year
pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
Relative sequence of players in the ranking.

Usually, in every particular ranking, when two or more puzzlers have the same punctuation, the total points sequence is considered to assign the relative places but it looks like this has not been considered in this ranking (I am looking in this moment, for instance, to the seven players with 66 points, agnostico appears before angelwhite, and there are other swappings, ... [confused] ).

I think this has come up before, the "secondary sort" (used for ties) is by the age of the account.

Thank you very much for the explanation, for this new feature [thumbsup] [thumbsup], and a Happy New Year.

Posted on: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:17 am

My perspective:

There are times that I travel. When I travel, I do not even try to do the extras. I just want to get the dailies done. I am not always successful at that task.

I have been traveling since Dec 15. I returned home on Dec 30 and started on the extras. There was no way I was going to get them all completed before Jan 1.

It seems to me that all points turned in, be it book or extras should count in the calendar yr they are turned in. I am not trying to cage the system. Its just when a person turned in the puzzles and earned the points. I also think Dec 31 timed puzzles should count for 2019 - because that is when the points are awarded.

As to Beaker's concern about a level playing field, for those who still have book puzzles to do vs those who do not --- I am not sure that will bother whose who have completed all the book puzzles. They have the peace of mind in knowing they are no. 1 in the book points ranking.

Having book puzzles in the mix might encourage new members to do the book puzzles.

We could ask Patrick to do a year-to-date ranking for book, timed and extras.

Like I said, I am not trying to cage the system. Its just the way life was for me at the end of the year.

Posted on: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:06 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
I also think Dec 31 timed puzzles should count for 2019 - because that is when the points are awarded.

I agree.

That said, there may be a historical precedent - or I may just be further muddying the waters. If someone only solves timed puzzles in a given day, does it count toward their 'consecutive days solving' rank? And if so, does it count for the day solved or the day points were awarded?
eclipsegirl wrote:
We could ask Patrick to do a year-to-date ranking for book, timed and extras.

This would resolve any perceived imbalance other than the occasional 'extra bonus'.

Posted on: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Just wondering have the year to date rankings been changed to include 2018 extra puzzles that were solved in 2019?

Posted on: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:31 pm

paulv66 wrote:
Just wondering have the year to date rankings been changed to include 2018 extra puzzles that were solved in 2019?

The script that initializes the scores had to be reworked a bit anyway,
now it even included the points of reguar puzzles of Dec 31st, solved on Jan 1st.. [glare]

It should be better now, let me know.

Posted on: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:42 pm

pnm wrote:
The script that initializes the scores had to be reworked a bit anyway,
now it even included the points of reguar puzzles of Dec 31st, solved on Jan 1st.. [glare]

It should be better now, let me know.

There's still a minor discrepancy. My year to date total does not include the 5 points I got for yesterday's timed puzzles.

Posted on: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:05 pm

paulv66 wrote:
pnm wrote:
There's still a minor discrepancy. My year to date total does not include the 5 points I got for yesterday's timed puzzles.

Right, timed puzzle points are excluded completely at the moment.

Posted on: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:59 am

Am all in favor of timed puzzle points not be included as well as book points [thumbsup]

Posted on: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:55 am

beaker wrote:
Am all in favor of timed puzzle points not be included as well as book points [thumbsup]

Some people who earn 20 percent of their points from the timed puzzles might not be... [sad]

But the year-to-date rankings needn't be to changed if nobody else wants them to change.
I don't matter too much about the rankings other than the timed rankings.

Posted on: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:43 pm

My 2 cents worth:

When I checked the Year to Date listings before the end of the year, I was no. 1 in the US and no. 2 in world, second to Jpoos.

I believe I was ranked that way due to turning in a significant portion of the book puzzles.
I believe Jpoos was ranked as no.1 because that member has a knack for the timed puzzles.

My personal preference for doing year to date ranking would include timed puzzles and book puzzles, however I understand that not everyone is a speedy puzzler. I am not. Not everyone does book puzzles.

I think if Patrick could create a Year to Date ranking for REGULAR puzzles that would allow those who do not timed or book puzzles to rank themselves against others. However there is a difference between a subscriber and a non subscriber. A subscriber has access to two more regular puzzles. You can't make everyone happy.

I think it is reasonable to limit ithe Year to Date rankings to puzzles that are published in the calendar year.

Patrick would have to publish another book this year for anyone to get book puzzles to be added to their year to date points. The points for those puzzles would only add to the year to date totals through Dec 31. Doing older book puzzles would add to a member's total score, but not their year to date total.

Dec 31 timed puzzles would be an orphan. They are not added to point totals until Jan 1.

I do not know how hard it would be for Patrick to implement this system. He is the final arbiter of this discussion.

Reply to topic   [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next