View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Pencil-less 12x12 

Posted on: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:32 pm

Post Pencil-less 12x12
As a bit of a brain exercise, I've been attempting the 12x12 without using any pencil marks. I have about a 50% success rate so far. Just wondering if anyone else does this? Perhaps we can have a "boss mode" version that prohibits pencil marks and gives extra points for a clean solve?

Posted on: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Post Re: Pencil-less 12x12
jpersky wrote:
As a bit of a brain exercise, I've been attempting the 12x12 without using any pencil marks. I have about a 50% success rate so far. Just wondering if anyone else does this? Perhaps we can have a "boss mode" version that prohibits pencil marks and gives extra points for a clean solve?

I find it hard enough with the pencil marks! I don't think a "boss mode" would work as you could solve the problem without logging in and then enter the solution while logged in.

Posted on: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:57 pm

jpersky wrote:

A friend of mine and I used to attempt every puzzle without pencil marks, success was a 'clean solve' while succumbing to the mnemonic crutch of notetaking resulted in a 'dirty solve'. I tied Dave often enough, but I don't think I ever had more clean solves in a day than he did.

Anecdote aside, I sometimes attempt large puzzles without pencil for an extra challenge but don't think I'd do it on a daily basis for extra points - there's only so much time in the day. :-)

And then there are the 'business rules' and the coding...

Posted on: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:26 am

I tried going pencil-less on Sunday's 12x12, I was able to complete the puzzle, but it took me much more time. It made for an interesting change, so I think it is a good idea. The 12x12 puzzles are usually easy to solve, I don't think i would get far going pencil-less on a more difficult puzzle.

Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]