View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 # of puzzlers 

Posted on: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:01 am

Post # of puzzlers
Just curious as to the total number of active puzzlers and total number of active plus no longer active puzzlers???

Posted on: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:33 am

Post Re: # of puzzlers
beaker wrote:
Just curious as to the total number of active puzzlers and total number of active plus no longer active puzzlers???

I'm sure Patrick can provide full data, but the following number of puzzlers are shown in the all puzzles rankings:

Last 7 days: 1014
Year to date: 1094
Last 30 days: 1171
All time: 7955

The last 30 days and all time listings exclude anyone who has scored fewer than 20 points and who hasn't submitted a puzzle in the last 7 days, so I guess the overall numbers will be somewhat higher than the above figures.

Posted on: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:00 am

And the numbers have been pretty stable for a long time,
i.e. about the same number of people join as leave.

I suppose I should promote the site a bit more [mellow]

Posted on: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 pm

pnm wrote:
And the numbers have been pretty stable for a long time,
i.e. about the same number of people join as leave.

I suppose I should promote the site a bit more [mellow]

I presume some of those are people who just solve a small number of puzzles and then leave, or possibly come back from time to time, but not on a regular basis?

I think most 'hard core' puzzlers are in it for the long haul and don't tend to drop out (Sheldolina being a notable exception to this rule).

Regarding how you might market the website, I'm not really sure how you would do this effectively. I found out about the site by accident due to having discovered Killer Sudoku in a UK newspaper someone had left on a plane from Singapore to London. I'd only ever done regular Sudoku and this struck me as a more interesting variation. I googled Killer Sudoku after I got home and found this website.

I think I only did the Killer Sudokus at first and then noticed the other puzzles and started doing them too. After about a week, I was hooked, but I resisted becoming a subscriber because I felt I was already spending too much time on the site. As I got quicker at solving the problems, the lure of the extra points on offer to subscribers proved too hard to resist and I became a subscriber about 8 months after joining the site.

I don't know how typical my story is, but I imagine it's not totally out of line with how other people got involved.

Posted on: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:43 pm

Sheldolina wasnt the only one who left.
Bschwartz and Eutaxy have disappeared too. Eutaxy left at 99,999 and Bschwatz at 100,001.

I have been concerned because Mparisi has not been as active as normal.

Many people leave after reaching a specific achievement such as 100k, or finishing all the book puzzles.

Perhaps what would help is a list of what keeps one motivated, day in day out.

Last edited by eclipsegirl on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:21 am

you also forgot to mention "sneaklyfox" (Canada)(she was very adept at doing all the puzzles) who used to post instructional hints videos on doing various puzzles much like clm at the same time!! plus we seem to be missing isidore from Canada who has over 100,000 points!!

As to why people do these every day......it becomes a habit for most I think as they look forward to getting "their hands(minds)" on the next set of puzzles......for me, it is a good habit as I wish to keep my brain active at solving problems and therefore keep dementia "at bay" [smile]

Posted on: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:02 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
I have been concerned because Mparisi has not been as active as normal.

I'm back. I was on vacation. To all you hard core puzzlers out there, there's a whole great big world out there. Take some time to see it without worrying about your consecutive days puzzling streak.

Posted on: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:27 pm

Mparisis,
I hope you had a good time and enjoyed yourself.

[blush]

Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]