View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:06 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Breaking my gold star longest run 

Posted on: Wed May 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Post Breaking my gold star longest run
After 8 years and almost 1 month (I got the first gold star of this sequence on April 12, 2011), on May 11, 2019, I have finally broken this burst [thumbdn]. It was not my intention but I had unsolvable problems until very late (with the Wifi connection in a cruise, I was affraid of this in advance), so I did not sent the solutions of 4 puzzles on Saturday 11. Additionally I have lost the corresponding 29 points in the "year to date" ranking.

No problem, that´s life. Anyway I must be very happy with my "burst" of 2952 consecutive gold stars (though I would have liked at least 3,000 [crying] [crying]). But I will continue fighting, it is not time yet for a "sabatic year".

I know that number simply because I know I have sent all solutions every day (including Ks´s, extra puzzles and the 2-point Sudokus), even when travelling (with a PC, tablet or cellular); in those 2952 days I have only left a 15x15 extra for a following day and that happened during a trip.

Actually there is not an official "consecutive gold star" statistic (I hope one day Patrick includes this interesting statistic, as it is now in the "Sudoku Crack" App :-)).

Posted on: Wed May 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Post Re: Breaking my gold star longest run
clm, Congratulations!!!! That is an awesome accomplishment which I cannot begin to imagine for myself. I have way too many occasional puzzles that would take me too long to complete. On the other hand, I can well imagine your sadness for the end of the "burst'" I am very proud of my 3080 consecutive days, but of course a single 4x4 is all that is necessary to keep that going.

Posted on: Wed May 22, 2019 5:08 pm

CLM,
I can feel your pain. Something similar happened to me on March 31 of this year.

A gold star ranking would be fun. It would be interesting to see a “year to date” on that particular statistic.

Life occurs. I hope you had a nice time on your cruise.

E-girl

Posted on: Thu May 23, 2019 12:03 pm

WOW Amazing effort CLM, I think I managed to get a Gold Star 3-4 days in a row once LOL

Posted on: Thu May 23, 2019 11:13 pm

clm, congratulations on your incredible, inconceivable, all-but-impossible (*drum roll*) 8-years-plus streak of consecutive gold stars [woot] [thumbup] [love] [thumbsup]

Even though you would've liked to stretch it a bit longer, maintaining a perfect streak can be taxing [sad] In the words of former world chess champion Viswanathan Anand:

"You never really switch off […] There are times, you've been at a safari and looking at a lion and you think 'Of course, Bh4 is the key move' and then you look back at the lions and then enjoy it. You always have like two cores running." (slightly condensed/corrected from article)

Here's hoping you'll find it liberating that you no longer have to worry about wifi and such every day :-)
Speaking as someone who cut back on puzzling, dropped out of the all-time top 10 and is (am) happy with the change [smile]
By the way. belated congrats to beaker on joining that prestigious club once again [wink] [thumbup]

Wishing everyone a happy summer* full of nice (preferably outdoor) experiences, be it photo safaris, cruises, eclipses, family reunions or even the occasional puzzle :-)

* or winter, for those in the southern hemisphere [smile]

Posted on: Sat May 25, 2019 1:52 pm

bram wrote:
clm, congratulations on your incredible, inconceivable, all-but-impossible (*drum roll*) 8-years-plus streak of consecutive gold stars [woot] [thumbup] [love] [thumbsup]

Even though you would've liked to stretch it a bit longer, maintaining a perfect streak can be taxing [sad] In the words of former world chess champion Viswanathan Anand:

"You never really switch off […] There are times, you've been at a safari and looking at a lion and you think 'Of course, Bh4 is the key move' and then you look back at the lions and then enjoy it. You always have like two cores running." (slightly condensed/corrected from article)

Here's hoping you'll find it liberating that you no longer have to worry about wifi and such every day :-)
Speaking as someone who cut back on puzzling, dropped out of the all-time top 10 and is (am) happy with the change [smile]
By the way. belated congrats to beaker on joining that prestigious club once again [wink] [thumbup]

Wishing everyone a happy summer* full of nice (preferably outdoor) experiences, be it photo safaris, cruises, eclipses, family reunions or even the occasional puzzle :-)

* or winter, for those in the southern hemisphere [smile]

Thanks a lot to everyone, sjs34, eclipsegirl, ineedaname, bram, ... , for encouraging me and for your gentle words.

Hi, bram, h4 for the bishop is probably a very good place to attack the castling. However, if I were surrounded by lions I would not probably think in how many combinations are possible for 72x in a 3-cell L-shape cage, for instance :-) . But the Anand´s second core is older than mine (probably since the childhood). I have probably acquired a second Calcudoku core but now is only 8 years and 9 months old [smile].

Posted on: Sat May 25, 2019 3:14 pm

Congratulations clm. Eight+ years! Repeating that to myself and thinking about it. Almost unbelievable, beyond the obvious of intellectual mastery of a puzzle genre, no small feat in itself, there is the fortitude, persistence, love of family, all those birthdays, holidays, emergencies clearly a labor of love and competitiveness perhaps mostly with yourself!

Eight is a magic and lucky number foreseeing wealth and abundance. Not that you should or will stop there:) Perhaps another 8 before you look to a hiatus!

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]