View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Calcudoku 9x9 query 

Posted on: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Post Re: Calcudoku 9x9 query
pnm wrote:
Yes, it's that operator, but the "1" is the vertical bar symbol ( | ),
a common symbol for bitwise OR.

(on US layout keyboards it's on the key right above the Enter key)

I think I usually hear this referred to as a 'pipe'.

Posted on: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:10 am

jaek wrote:
pnm wrote:
Yes, it's that operator, but the "1" is the vertical bar symbol ( | ),
a common symbol for bitwise OR.

(on US layout keyboards it's on the key right above the Enter key)

I'm gunna have to smoke some serious 'pipe' if I'm ever going to understand wtf y'all on about [namaste]

Posted on: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:34 am

lol

Posted on: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:36 am

jaek wrote:

In the context of the Unix command line, yes [sleep]

Posted on: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:14 am

sean17 wrote:
I'm gunna have to smoke some serious 'pipe' if I'm ever going to understand wtf y'all on about [namaste]

It took me a while to get used to the different variations, but I got there eventually. I guess it depends on how much you enjoy doing puzzles and how much time and energy you're prepared to spend on figuring out the different variations.

I'm retired, so I have plenty of time on my hands and doing the puzzles helps to keep my mind active. They don't necessarily become any easier over time, but you find that you become better at understanding how the numbers combine together and you develop different techniques for solving the more difficult puzzles.

Posted on: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:50 am

paulv66 wrote:
sean17 wrote:

It took me a while to get used to the different variations, but I got there eventually. I guess it depends on how much you enjoy doing puzzles and how much time and energy you're prepared to spend on figuring out the different variations.

I'm retired, so I have plenty of time on my hands and doing the puzzles helps to keep my mind active. They don't necessarily become any easier over time, but you find that you become better at understanding how the numbers combine together and you develop different techniques for solving the more difficult puzzles.

I enjoy puzzles a fair bit as you say it's good for the mind, however, the bit wise operation is just not compatible with my brain, I read it over a few times and it just does not make any sense to me [confused] so unless it can be simplified or explained differently to me, I'll be unable to complete the puzzle

Posted on: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:13 pm

sean17 wrote:
I enjoy puzzles a fair bit as you say it's good for the mind, however, the bit wise operation is just not compatible with my brain, I read it over a few times and it just does not make any sense to me [confused] so unless it can be simplified or explained differently to me, I'll be unable to complete the puzzle

I don't have any training in computer programming, so I'll try to explain it the way I understand it.

Are you familiar with binary numbers i.e. numbers to base 2? Under this system, the first 8 numbers are as follows 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110, 111, 1000.

The numbers 1 to 8 can therefore be anything from 1 digit (i.e. 1) to 4 digits (i.e. 1000).

If we write the numbers out in binary format and then add them as if they were regular numbers (i.e. to base 10), we will end up with a total ranging from 2 to 4 digits (the total must be at least 3, which equals 11 in binary format). If we then take this total and change anything higher than 1 to 1 and leave the zeroes unchanged, we are left with the following possibilities: 11,101, 110, 111, 1001, 1010, 1011, 1100, 1101, 1110, 1111. Converting these numbers from base 2 back to base 10 gives us 3, 5, 6 ... 15 as possible answers.

That's my understanding of how bitwise puzzles work. I don't know if the above explanation makes things any clearer, but maybe others can row in and explain it better than I can.

Posted on: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:36 pm

paulv66 wrote:
sean17 wrote:

I don't have any training in computer programming, so I'll try to explain it the way I understand it.

Are you familiar with binary numbers i.e. numbers to base 2? Under this system, the first 8 numbers are as follows 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110, 111, 1000.

The numbers 1 to 8 can therefore be anything from 1 digit (i.e. 1) to 4 digits (i.e. 1000).

If we write the numbers out in binary format and then add them as if they were regular numbers (i.e. to base 10), we will end up with a total ranging from 2 to 4 digits (the total must be at least 3, which equals 11 in binary format). If we then take this total and change anything higher than 1 to 1 and leave the zeroes unchanged, we are left with the following possibilities: 11,101, 110, 111, 1001, 1010, 1011, 1100, 1101, 1110, 1111. Converting these numbers from base 2 back to base 10 gives us 3, 5, 6 ... 15 as possible answers.

That's my understanding of how bitwise puzzles work. I don't know if the above explanation makes things any clearer, but maybe others can row in and explain it better than I can.

I am starting to understand a little bit more this system, thank you for giving your take on it [thumbsup] however when the number in the box is 15l. What are the possible equations ? Or how would you work out what numbers could possibly go in the cage ? This is where I'm stuck ?

Posted on: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:03 pm

If it's a two cell cage, the only possible solution to 15| is 7,8. If there's more than two cells, then there must be at least one 8 (it could be 8, 7, 8) and the other two numbers must between them cover 1 (odd numbers), 2 (2, 3, 6 or 7) and 4 (4, 5, 6 or 7). If you read the post linked below the bitwise puzzle, it shows the possible combinations for various numbers.

Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2