View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Saving Extras 

Posted on: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:35 am

Post Saving Extras
Why do some users save up their extras so that they can submit them all in one day so that they can achieve a higher standing (a fleeting higher standing)......

Last edited by beaker on Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:28 am

Post Re: Saving Extras
I have done it while I am on vacation.

Posted on: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:48 am

Eclipsegirl: I can understand that.....point being for what ever reason, why horde the extras until you have enough to vault yourself into higher standing for a couple of days..... [confused]

Posted on: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:09 am

beaker wrote:
Eclipsegirl: I can understand that.....point being for what ever reason, why horde the extras until you have enough to vault yourself into higher standing for a couple of days..... [confused]

The thrill of seeing your name at the top of the standings?

I’d imagine that what happens in a lot of these cases is that the person solves the puzzles, but saves them before entering the final number so that they can submit them one after the other

Posted on: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:47 pm

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs?

A couple of weeks ago I had a backlog of Extras, but it was because I'm in Texas and we had weirdly cold weather that knocked out power, froze a lot of people's pipes, etc. I came through pretty unscathed, but puzzles became a lesser priority for a few days there. So my 7 day average probably hit zero before I got back in the groove. And then a week later I was back to my usual weekly total with all the extras added in. I bet I'm back to normal by now.

That's a dramatic example, but if I'm short on time, the Extra is the first puzzle I'll skip since it has the longest time period to return to it. Then the 12x12 or Tuesday 9x9. So I might get a bump that way.

I know this isn't rocket surgery. And I realized while writing that you are really asking about purposefully holding puzzles in reserve. I suppose it's just nice to see yourself topping the leader boards. Why let jpoos have all the fun?! [biggrin]

Posted on: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:52 pm

[omg] Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.....now, where did that come from.....you a Psyche major at a University.......have not seen that in a while (psyche course in 1966)....nice post though and hits the "nail on the head" :-)
Happy to hear you made it through the Texas deep freeze......must have been quite the ordeal for most Texans.

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]