View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Extra Points 

Posted on: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Post Extra Points
I have been a subscriber for only a couple of months, but all of the extra puzzles I've seen so far have been worth 8 points. Yet I see many folk have extra totals which are not multiples of 8. Is there some way to accrue "extra points" other than the daily extra puzzles?

Posted on: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:35 pm

Post Re: Extra Points
Every second Saturday, there’s a 15*15 puzzle that’s worth 15 points. If you’ve been a subscriber for a couple of months, you should have been offered 4 or 5 of these so far. The most recent was yesterday.

Posted on: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:17 am

Aha. That explains it. I confess I glaze over when I see those monsters. I struggle mightily with 12x12. Thanks, Paul.

Posted on: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:38 pm

flash wrote:
Aha. That explains it. I confess I glaze over when I see those monsters. I struggle mightily with 12x12. Thanks, Paul.

When I was first joined, I felt like you did.
Then I did the two books of Large Puzzles. (102 Large Puzzles -- available for purchase as a PDF, and 102 Large Puzzles EXTRA -- a free gift with your first annual subscription)

They were a challenge, and I needed to copy over the puzzles to grid paper to make the cells larger.
However, after getting through the books, I became very practiced at the 12 x 12s.
Seeing a 12 x 12 no longer made me cringe.

I encourage you to challenge yourself. Work on those "monsters."
You will get better at them.

Posted on: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:41 am

Thank you for the encouraging words, eclipsegirl. That's just what I needed to hear. I had always dismissed pencil and paper as being too old-school. :) But now that you mention it, it sounds like a better way to keep track of my strategies than trying to keep them in my oh-so-porous memory. I used to be pretty good at mental arithmetic, but now that I'm in my seventies, old-school has become more appealing.

Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]