View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Recycled puzzles 

Posted on: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:21 am

Post Recycled puzzles
After I solved a puzzle, I got a message that I had already solved it before. Does that imply that the same puzzle was on the site at an earlier date and I solved it? I've had the experience of puzzles looking familiar, at least in structure. I can see forgetting much if not everything about a particular puzzle after a few weeks.

Posted on: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:30 am

Post Re: Recycled puzzles
larryb33 wrote:
After I solved a puzzle, I got a message that I had already solved it before. Does that imply that the same puzzle was on the site at an earlier date and I solved it? I've had the experience of puzzles looking familiar, at least in structure. I can see forgetting much if not everything about a particular puzzle after a few weeks.

No, puzzles are not recycled, and you should never get this message if you haven't solved it before.
If anyone sees this, please send me a note with your username + which puzzle it was.
thanks,
Patrick

Posted on: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:08 am

pnm wrote:
larryb33 wrote:

No, puzzles are not recycled, and you should never get this message if you haven't solved it before.
If anyone sees this, please send me a note with your username + which puzzle it was.
thanks,
Patrick

I don't think this is a case of the puzzle being recycled, but a matter of the solution being submitted multiple times somehow, and only the first one counts; I've gotten this message multiple times, but I've always been given the points and thus dismissed this message as a system error.

Posted on: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:04 am

starling wrote:
I don't think this is a case of the puzzle being recycled, but a matter of the solution being submitted multiple times somehow, and only the first one counts; I've gotten this message multiple times, but I've always been given the points and thus dismissed this message as a system error.

I got a suggestion from "bram" that this maybe because of the more "robust" submission code: a submission
is now attempted 3 times. So possibly the first one succeeds, but somehow the acknowledgement doesn't
make it back to the browser. The 2nd one succeeds also, but now the server sends "already submitted" back
because the 1st one succeeded.

I'd like to keep these 3 attempts in there, but obviously also avoid the incorrect message..

Patrick

Posted on: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:04 am

pnm wrote:
a submission
is now attempted 3 times. So possibly the first one succeeds, but somehow the acknowledgement doesn't
make it back to the browser. The 2nd one succeeds also, but now the server sends "already submitted" back
because the 1st one succeeded.

I've now added a hack: if the server detects that the previously submitted solution (for the same puzzle)
arrived less than a minute ago, it is assumed this was from the same submission (but with the reply not
arriving), and you'll still get the "points were added" message.
Patrick

Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]