View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:51 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 is the site becoming less interesting / attractive? 

Posted on: Mon May 23, 2022 12:11 pm

Post Re: is the site becoming less interesting / attractive?
kenk wrote:
And I’ve always wondered why there would be brackets around the phrase (in the rankings as kenk).

Thanks for pointing this out.

I'm pretty sure this is a relic from the time where you could also sign up via Facebook and Google plus
(and Google plus/a Google account is still supported a bit, even though Google+ was discontinued years ago).

I'll try to fix this [namaste]

edit: this was indeed a small bug, no idea why I left it in there for so long,
I guess I stopped reading the "solved box" text... [huh]

Posted on: Mon May 23, 2022 7:04 pm

pnm wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is a relic from the time where you could also sign up via Facebook and Google plus
(and Google plus/a Google account is still supported a bit, even though Google+ was discontinued years ago).

I'll try to fix this [namaste]

edit: this was indeed a small bug, no idea why I left it in there for so long,
I guess I stopped reading the "solved box" text... [huh]

Talking about the player's name, I confirm you that the name in brackets is referred to a sign via Facebook. I always get the message (in the rankings as Vittorio f 3496), where the "f" is Facebook logo.
Would it be possible to erase this suffix: f 3496, and appear just with my name "Vittorio"? Or do you need to differentiate the players coming from Facebook?

P.S. thank you so much for adding the instant ranking in the timed puzzles [namaste] it works very well!

Posted on: Mon May 23, 2022 7:44 pm

vittorio wrote:
Talking about the player's name, I confirm you that the name in brackets is referred to a sign via Facebook. I always get the message (in the rankings as Vittorio f 3496), where the "f" is Facebook logo.
Would it be possible to erase this suffix: f 3496, and appear just with my name "Vittorio"? Or do you need to differentiate the players coming from Facebook?

Not anymore (since it's no longer possible to log in via Facebook).

I'll check to see for how many players this still applies, and then could maybe change the usernames
(to get rid of the "fb_12345" names completely).

edit: I changed it now such that for those accounts that were originally created via Facebook, and that
have a "regular" account name set, it'll show that account name (instead of first name + Facebook logo + id)
(the id was needed at the time because people could have the same first name of course).

Posted on: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:35 pm

I have no thoughts on the site being less interesting or attractive, but for myself I am definitely on the downslope of my experience. I have had less time for the puzzles and am missing more than I once did. I am on a path for losing some of my achieved markers. For example, several times I have been on the edge of dropping out of the club of 5 who have done all of the extra puzzles. Also kadelson is well on the path to replace me as number 3 all-time. The site remains interesting and attractive to me but my trajectory is discouraging.

Posted on: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:50 pm

sjs34 wrote:
For example, several times I have been on the edge of dropping out of the club of 5 who have done all of the extra puzzles.

It used to be a club of 6 but then a few years ago one puzzler dropped out, maybe intentionally so they wouldn't feel the need to catch up all the time. I should probably do the same thing, seeing that I enjoy puzzling much more after I stopped caring about staying in the all-time top 10 and doing every book puzzle.

I don't think you or I or anyone else should be discouraged by downward trajectories in our puzzling. They're just a natural reflection of changed priorities, obligations etc IRL. And puzzling becomes much more fun and relaxing once we throw off the yoke of completism [smile]

Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6