View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:32 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Purple cells 

Posted on: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:38 pm

Post Re: Purple cells
starling wrote:
I also use that feature pretty extensively and would be sad to see it go permanently.

So now the question becomes: which key should I use instead?

Or it could be an account setting (but that involves a bit more work to implement).

Posted on: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:02 pm

frederick wrote:
frederick wrote:
pnm wrote:
I'm amazed at how quickly someone already accidentally pressed it :-)

i seem to be constantly pressing the darn key :)

It would be most instructive to gain some insight as to how a second colour would be of use :)

Posted on: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:43 am

pnm wrote:
starling wrote:
I also use that feature pretty extensively and would be sad to see it go permanently.

So now the question becomes: which key should I use instead?

Or it could be an account setting (but that involves a bit more work to implement).

Honestly I was pretty surprised that , was getting hit inadvertently. None of the adjacent keys on a standard American keyboard do anything (other than space), right? So is this an international keyboard thing?

frederick wrote:
frederick wrote:
pnm wrote:
I'm amazed at how quickly someone already accidentally pressed it :-)

i seem to be constantly pressing the darn key :)

It would be most instructive to gain some insight as to how a second colour would be of use :)

The key difference for me is that it could be used on cells that did not have a number in them. So I could quickly flag a given cage or all the locations that could have a 3 in the puzzle or do even/odd colorings (rarely needed, but I think I did do it once).

Posted on: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:00 am

Quote:
The key difference for me is that it could be used on cells that did not have a number in them. So I could quickly flag a given cage or all the locations that could have a 3 in the puzzle or do even/odd colorings (rarely needed, but I think I did do it once).

Not only: it is very useful when you have to calculate the total sum of an extended sub-group of cells in order to determine the value of a remaining cell or a group of cells, regardless if they are empty or already bolded.
Another use is to highlight a cell in which you put a "trial and error" value which could be clearly wrong only after a large number of steps, in order to start again from that value without forgetting it

Posted on: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:32 am

So which key should I use instead?

I thought initially that the comma key was fine, only close to the space bar of course.

Maybe a letter key, like 'A' ?

Posted on: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:44 pm

pnm wrote:

I thought initially that the comma key was fine, only close to the space bar of course.

A works for me
although I do not actually use the purple at this time :)

Posted on: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:24 pm

pnm wrote:

Patrick, 'A' would be great: it is easy to tap with the left thumb or the left forefinger

EDIT: No, 'A' is already used to insert '10' in the puzzles bigger than 9×9... Probably 'Z' would work better

Last edited by vittorio on Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:26 pm

Not against this particular feature, but there's a more general question:

If puzzlers accidentally touch a shortcut key that turns on a feature they didn't even know existed and aren't sure how to turn it off again, how should this be remedied? Of course they can turn to the forum (if they know how to use it) with questions like "Help! Something turned green/purple/bold, and I don't need/like it" and someone is going to help them, but that seems a bit random. Should there maybe be a sticky topic on special features and the shortcut keys that turn them on and off? That would have the added benefit of drawing more attention to the features themselves.

(Apologies if such a thing already exists; I'm not as attentive a user of the site and forums as I used to be.)

Posted on: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:54 am

vittorio wrote:
pnm wrote:

Patrick, 'A' would be great: it is easy to tap with the left thumb or the left forefinger

EDIT: No, 'A' is already used to insert '10' in the puzzles bigger than 9×9... Probably 'Z' would work better

Z feels more likely to get hit inadvertently being right next to shift.

Honestly I thought the comma was pretty ideal.

Posted on: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:21 am

vittorio wrote:

Ah, forgot about that.

the T key maybe?

Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next