View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:05 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Points limit 

Posted on: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Post Re: Points limit
Thanks for the elaborate post!

bram wrote:
To make up for the (insignificant) shortcomings of the ranking system, I have a constructive suggestion: If someone earned a gold star on the current and the preceding six days, their gold star could turn into a special "7-day gold star" (bigger, with more lustre or something like that) or a diamond. That way, even if for some reason others

A diamond, I like it, thanks :-)

Other stuff:
- average points per day (only for days solving puzzles)
- number of days solving puzzles (shown next to the number of days member in the all-time rankings)

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:42 pm

pnm wrote:
Other stuff:
- average points per day (only for days solving puzzles)
- number of days solving puzzles (shown next to the number of days member in the all-time rankings)
Patrick

I really like the "other stuff". I'd like to see that.

Posted on: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 am

I agree with jas33 that the all-time rankings shouldn't be substituted for anything else. A lot of us probably enjoy the Scrooge McDuck feeling of sitting atop (not to mention diving into) the great big pile of all the points you ever earned [smile]

sneaklyfox wrote:
Perhaps we are all in agreement that the 30-day ranking is more precise than the 7-day ranking (although in regard the extra puzzles, one could do all 30 or 31 puzzles on the last day and then for the following month if the extra puzzles are done to date the ranking is higher). Then Patrick could have the "rankings" link go directly to the 30-day page instead of the 7-day page since it would then be the one that everyone would see if they clicked on "rankings". And I think what jomapil might mean is that we have the point total of 30 days. Right now the 30-days page shows the average number of points per day in the last 30 days which is a little different from a straight total...

Good idea. I believe it would be to everyone's satisfaction if the 30-day average ranking were substituted for a 30-day point-total ranking that would work just like the 7-day and all-time point-total rankings (which would both be kept as they are), including specs at mouse-over, if that could be done without too much work on Patrick's part by reusing code. And I like Patrick's suggestions for "other stuff" too! A ranking according to the average number of points per puzzle-solving day would be more interesting than a last-30-days average ranking.

Posted on: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:03 am

Ok, the plan is now to have a daily points limit (for the regular puzzles,
so not including the extra, bonus, and book puzzles, nor the timed bonus points)
of 42 points a day.

The Killer Sudoku puzzles will then be worth 3, 5, and 7 points.

Starting August 1st :-)

Posted on: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:48 am

pnm wrote:
Ok, the plan is now to have a daily points limit (for the regular puzzles,
so not including the extra, bonus, and book puzzles, nor the timed bonus points)
of 42 points a day.

The Killer Sudoku puzzles will then be worth 3, 5, and 7 points.

Starting August 1st :-)

I think you should have a headline stating this on the main page. Not everyone reads the forums.

Posted on: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:02 pm

I usually solve all the regular puzzles, but with the new points limit I will rarely be penalized for the ones that I don't solve. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, a bad thing, or just a thing.

Posted on: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:11 pm

picklepep wrote:
I think you should have a headline stating this on the main page. Not everyone reads the forums.

Ah well. Back in The Olden Days there was no forum,
and I simply made changes to the site. As a user, you'd
never know what to expect, every day was a thrill :-)

Posted on: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:12 pm

sjs34 wrote:
I usually solve all the regular puzzles, but with the new points limit I will rarely be penalized for the ones that I don't solve. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, a bad thing, or just a thing.

The idea is that if you want to solve all the puzzles, because you like to do so, you still can.
For those who solve all the puzzles because of the points race, the work load is reduced a bit.

Posted on: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:28 pm

I understand the point. it is just interesting that one differentiator between the elite and the superelite may be being eliminated (said as one who does not feel superelite).

Posted on: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:02 am

[The idea is that if you want to solve all the puzzles, because you like to do so, you still can.
For those who solve all the puzzles because of the points race, the work load is reduced a bit.[/quote]

Thank you Patrick [biggrin]

Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next