View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 opinion wanted on this small set of puzzles 

Posted on: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:19 pm

opinion wanted on this small set of puzzles
I just posted these puzzles in the Dutch forum, asking people to
compare them to the weekly "K-doku" puzzles in a Dutch national newspaper.
That said, opinions of people who don't read that particular paper (the "Volkskrant")
are welcome too :-)

Posted on: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:58 am

Post Re: opinion wanted on this small set of puzzles
As a seasoned calcudoku.org puzzler I find these puzzles comparatively easy but still entertaining because of the (small, manageable) challenges they pose. But then many of the restrictions I initially became aware of through conscious analysis, however simple (such as "the number 3 never goes into a 2: cage in a puzzle whose dimensions are less than 6x6", "upper and lower bounds often dictate which number combinations are possible in cages", the parity rule etc.), are now part of my "gut feeling" so that I can look for opportunities to utilize them in a given puzzle simultaneously and consider possible combinations of them rather intuitively. Maybe I would have found these puzzles annoyingly hard back when all I had tried in this genre was a few dozen not-too-hard kenkens. Or maybe I would have liked the increased complexity of the analysis necessary to solve them.

In fact, complexity is probably what I find appealing (and believe I would have found appealing even as a newbie kenken solver) about these puzzles: Many easy kenkens/whatever-dokus [smile] can be solved by making a series of very simple inferences sequentially (which may soon become tedious) whereas these puzzles give you the feeling that you have to consider several things simultaneously (grasp a larger context) to get to the solution. I don't know if the K-dokus in the Volkskrant are of the former kind but if they are, many of the current Krant puzzlers may welcome the challenge.

Posted on: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:03 am

pnm wrote:
I just posted these puzzles in the Dutch forum, asking people to
compare them to the weekly "K-doku" puzzles in a Dutch national newspaper.
That said, opinions of people who don't read that particular paper (the "Volkskrant")
are welcome too :-)

Last edited by frederick on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 am

bram wrote:

In fact, complexity is probably what I find appealing (and believe I would have found appealing even as a newbie kenken solver) about these puzzles: Many easy kenkens/whatever-dokus [smile] can be solved by making a series of very simple inferences sequentially (which may soon become tedious) whereas these puzzles give you the feeling that you have to consider several things simultaneously (grasp a larger context) to get to the solution. I don't know if the K-dokus in the Volkskrant are of the former kind but if they are, many of the current Krant puzzlers may welcome the challenge.

bram, Kudos!!!
I think you have just put very succintly exactly why I like this site!

Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]