View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Better undo & clear 

Posted on: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:38 am

Better undo & clear
Would it be possible to have the probable entries remain in a cell even after a definitive entry has been entered? This way when a mistake has been made the viable entries will still remain when backspace is used to clear a cell [thumbup] ... making spacebar initially clear just certain answers, then subsequently any pencil marks would also be helpful.
Try a sudoku at either Nikoli or Conceptis for an example of what I'm describing. These sites use separate individual micro-cells for each probable entry; but I think this site can achieve something similar by simply keeping all probable entries in a background cell separate from the certain answers.

Posted on: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Post Re: Better undo & clear
main wrote:
Would it be possible to have the probable entries remain in a cell even after a definitive entry has been entered? This way when a mistake has been made the viable entries will still remain when backspace is used to clear a cell [thumbup] ... making spacebar initially clear just certain answers, then subsequently any pencil marks would also be helpful.

Good suggestions, thanks.

It is true that the guesses are currently not part of the "stored moves", so undo does not affect them.

And it is also true that entering a number clears a cell completely (i.e. a definite number or guesses).

I'll take a look at this soon.

Patrick

Last edited by pnm on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:50 am

pnm wrote:
It is true that the guesses are currently part of the "stored moves", so undo does not affect them.

I presume you mean that guesses are not part of the "stored moves".

Along the same lines could you make whether you've bolded a cell part of the stored moves so it can be undone as well?

Also, any chance for having an undo without using the keyboard?

Thanks.

Posted on: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:00 am

mparisi wrote:
I presume you mean that guesses are not part of the "stored moves".

Yes, thanks, fixed that.
mparisi wrote:
Along the same lines could you make whether you've bolded a cell part of the stored moves so it can be undone as well?

Ok this is becoming more of a project [blink]

Posted on: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:18 pm

I agree with main that it would be nice to have a way to "get back" the pencil marks after a definitive value has been entered. Many times I have my pencil marks all set up, then start down a path of filling in what I think are the answers, only to find that my logic was faulty and I want to go back to look at my pencil marks... but they're all gone and I have to re-enter them.

On the other hand, I like the fact that "undo" only removes the definitive cells. Otherwise, any cells you had supplied with pencil mark entries since the last definitive entry would be wiped out, and that would more or less negate the value of having pencil marks.

For me, having bold-ing in the undo path and/or undo w/o keyboard wouldn't add any value. I use bolding a lot, but I rarely need to undo it.

Posted on: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 pm

I'm in agreement with all of pharosian's sentiments. Undo should not pertain to pencil marks. Clear should though, as I originally suggested.

+1 for not thinking there needs to be any discreet handling of highlights in the undo process. It makes more sense the way it is -> just a toggle. Undo already clears a highlight from the corresponding cell anyhow, as it should.

mparisi wrote:
I have some thoughts on improving mouse only usage, so I'll create another topic for that.

Posted on: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:36 am

main wrote:
+1 for not thinking there needs to be any discreet handling of highlights in the undo process. It makes more sense the way it is -> just a toggle. Undo already clears a highlight from the corresponding cell anyhow, as it should.

I don't necessarily want to clear a cell, I just want to remove its highlight. Lets say you're working along on a puzzle and you discover that one of the cages you had previously filled in must be wrong, so you want to back up to just before you filled in that cage. However, any cells that you highlighted after you made your error will remain highlighted, so using undo will not return the puzzle to the same state it was in before the error.

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]