View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 achievements 

Posted on: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:13 am

Post Re: achievements
Many thanks, ambidexter, that's a great list [thumbsup]

ddarthez wrote:
I am not sure if it is ever going to be attainable for non-subs. I think there is always an extra puzzle on Tuesdays, making it impossible for the non-subs to achieve (also it would not be fair if it were easier to achieve for non-subs).

There is an extra puzzle every day (!)

But yes, I think one of the four difficult puzzles is always "subscriber only" (I need to check the code for that),
so it won't be possible to achieve for non-subscribers.

ddarthez wrote:
BTW, do you need to achieve all three speed records for Speed Demon, or is one (or two) out of 3 enough?

[/quote]

You need to get all four of them.. [scared]

(I have 3 so far, still at [cursing] [cursing] 3:00 for the 8x8 ...)

Posted on: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:06 pm

I think it would be nice if you could add a “completed all puzzles” achievement for those years in which someone achieves a 100% record on the regular and extra puzzles. As year to date records have been shown since the beginning of 2019, perhaps this could be backdated to include those years and could also show if you’re on track for the current year.

Posted on: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:29 pm

pnm wrote:
Many thanks, ambidexter, that's a great list [thumbsup]

Graag gedaan [wink]
And it just struck me that, while analyzing various puzzle types (book, extra, bonus, etc), I totally forgot → these ←, even though clm mentioned them on page 2. My bad. I suggest that there should be an achievement for those who solved a user-submitted puzzle and a special rare award for those who create puzzles.

Profile WWW

Posted on: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:10 pm

paulv66 wrote:
I think it would be nice if you could add a “completed all puzzles” achievement for those years in which someone achieves a 100% record on the regular and extra puzzles. As year to date records have been shown since the beginning of 2019, perhaps this could be backdated to include those years and could also show if you’re on track for the current year.

Count me out. I had a stupid day on Friday and forgot to do the 2 point sudoku geessh!

In any case I still pray that I am able to take vacation and fly to Europe and or British Columbia to visit family. When with family I never complete all the puzzles so I would be counted out in the fall in any case:)

Posted on: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:16 pm

frederick wrote:
paulv66 wrote:
Count me out. I had a stupid day on Friday and forgot to do the 2 point sudoku geessh!

In any case I still pray that I am able to take vacation and fly to Europe and or British Columbia to visit family. When with family I never complete all the puzzles so I would be counted out in the fall in any case:)

It becomes a bit of a tyranny after a while. I came very close to ending my streak last Saturday when I really struggled to solve the Killer sudoku. I eventually completed it with about ten minutes to spare, but I was starting to panic. [scared]

I really, really need to find a new hobby. [scared]

Last edited by paulv66 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 am

I hear you Paul.

The weekend of US Thanksgiving, I had delayed the 12 x 12 that appears on Thurs.

Life was busy. Daughter was baking at our house on Fri, Sat and Sun. (Who knew that Macaroons took such patience?)
Sat, I NEEDED to get that puzzle completed.

I had small fights / disagreements with husband and daughter about leaving me alone and their insistence that I needed to leave so they could watch TV.
I lost the argument and went to another room. I still had hours to spare.
I finished that 12 x 12 with maybe 5 or 10 mins to spare.

But I was very frustrated and nervous about getting it done.

This is an addiction. This gets crazy when Real Life gets in the way. I am scared for times of Family gatherings. With Covid, I get to be left alone and do my puzzles. How sad.

Posted on: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:27 am

eclipsegirl wrote:
This is an addiction. This gets crazy when Real Life gets in the way. I am scared for times of Family gatherings. With Covid, I get to be left alone and do my puzzles. How sad.

I concur.

The two puzzles I missed last year were a consequence of:
1) Moving house
2) Power / internet failure thus having to solve all the puzzles on the phone. I missed an easy killer sudoku as a result of that, because once you have completed all calcudokus, it does not give you a link for the unsolved killer sudoku(s).

I do have the habit of checking year to date rankings when on my laptop, but considering how expensive mobile bandwidth is over here, I do not check that on my phone. Lesson learned the hard way :D . So I ended the year 14 points short of 100% completion.

But yeah, to avoid conflict, I usually do most of the puzzles early in the morning, the occasional 12x12 in the afternoon (of the day they're published, so always time in case of an emergency) and leave the regular sudoku for early in the evening.

I am not a sub, but I do fear that if I were a sub, I'd be getting into more conflicts with family as well, due to the additional time needed to solve puzzles. Especially if you make an annoying calculation error, and have to spend quite a bit of time to solve the puzzle(s). =

Posted on: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:10 pm

Oh my. So many people solving 100% of the puzzles every day [scared] I don't know if it's amazing or creepy; anyways, the achievements I've suggested (solve all today's puzzles in time, etc) turn out less valuable than I thought [blush] I do solve 100% every once in a while, but usually I skip the types of puzzles I don't like (e.g. I love the ones with bitwise OR, but hate those with MOD).

Well, then I guess there should be several levels of “perfectionists”: all puzzles of a day, of a week (Monday through Sunday), of a month (first through last day of month; this is how Microsoft gives out awards for casual games), and finally – of a year [blink]

Profile WWW

Posted on: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:18 am

Lost my continuance streak quite a number of years ago when we were on holidays on the Oregon Coast (ahh those were the days when you could travel whenever you wanted) when we were at the Best Western and as we checked in, we were told all of Bandon had no internet and nobody knew why....got up in AM, checked with front desk and still no internet.....sterak ended [cursing] [cursing] and had to start a new one [sad]

Posted on: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:25 am

Just wondering if you’re aware that the original Bandon is in West Cork. Not that it affects your story!

Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next