View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 achievements 

Posted on: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:39 pm

Post Re: achievements
I like 3 of eclipsegirl's suggestions: number of gold, number of daggers achieved and number of consecutive days a user has completed a puzzle [thumbsup]

Last edited by beaker on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:47 am

Well, I am never going to get a speedster achievement. [scared]

I believe that achievements should not be limited to those people who have been on board from the start.
That will seem daunting to new comers and casual participants.

While I have been here for six or seven yrs, I remember that getting my first 1,000 its was a unexpected symbolic triumph. So maybe some achievements based on total scores would be OK, too.

Posted on: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:12 am

Hmmm achievements, interesting!
I think the comparison with chess.com only goes so far, such a site has far more options for somewhat special achievements.
Nonetheless, I think the ideas proposed so far are pretty cool! The speed demon thingy looks awesome, even though I'm not sure I like the 'speed demons this year' part on the timed puzzles page (which you only seem to have added just now). I think achievements should mostly be a personal thing, with a page where you can see all the ones you've earned. If, eventually, there are enough achievements, perhaps there could be a rankings tab for the amount of achievements someone has earned total.
Also, you could look at tiers of achievements. If we take the streak of days that someone has solved at least one puzzle as an example, you could give someone a bronze achievement for 10 days, silver for 25, etc. Such a tier would also be nice for the speed demon achievement, that would present a challenge at every level!

Anyway, here is a bunch of things you could possibly turn into achievements:
-Timed puzzles: speed demon (which there already is), speed demons for each size, getting a top25/top10/top3/first spot.
-Book puzzles: x total book puzzles solved, x days of consecutive book puzzles solved.
-Generic puzzles: x total puzzles solved, x days of consecutive puzzles solved, biggest puzzle solved (from 8x8, 9x9, 10x10, 12x12 to 15x15), get a gold star, x consecutive gold stars, maybe something with killer sudokus or bonus puzzles.
-Other: total points earned.

At the end of the day, there is only so much you can do with the features there currently are.
If this turns into a real achievement system, be sure to add seemingly trivial achievements, like 'solve your first puzzle' or 'do a timed puzzle'! Give those newcomers the feeling they achieved something! [woot]

Posted on: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:44 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
I believe that achievements should not be limited to those people who have been on board from the start.
That will seem daunting to new comers and casual participants.

Yes, I'm still thinking it can be an annual thing (as it is now).

jpoos wrote:
The speed demon thingy looks awesome, even though I'm not sure I like the 'speed demons this year' part on the timed puzzles page (which you only seem to have added just now).

Yes, added that yesterday. I'll probably move it down the page to begin with.

Posted on: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:03 am

I haven't been here from the start but have been from early on, so my mundane and plodding but none-the-less satisfying achievement is that I now have over 10 years of consecutive days of puzzles solved -- i.e. 3680 days.

Posted on: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:50 am

Congrats to sjs34

Posted on: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:13 am

3584....close behind sjs34 and will not be gaining ground nor losing it [smile]

Posted on: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:21 am

sjs34 wrote:
I haven't been here from the start but have been from early on, so my mundane and plodding but none-the-less satisfying achievement is that I now have over 10 years of consecutive days of puzzles solved -- i.e. 3680 days.

I should add an achievement icon just for that one [thumbsup]

Posted on: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:51 am

pnm wrote:
sjs34 wrote:

I should add an achievement icon just for that one [thumbsup]

IMHO, it would be interesting to group the main achievements in a separate category, let's say called Statistics, between Rankings and Books, for instance.

Here you could resume: number of gold stars, number of consecutive gold stars, number of KS's, number of consecutive KS's, number of consecutive days sending solutions, number of book solutions sent, number of user created puzzles solutions sent, year to date first positions (for 2019, 2020, and so on, … ) and any other statistic you could imagine (relative to timed puzzles, etc.)

The use of many icons for different achievements, has two problems: the space for them (as a consequence you have a limit for the number of icons), and the necessity of explaining the meaning of each one (specially for new puzzlers … ), though the explanation could be set simply by positioning the cursor over the icon.

In fact, actually, when you place the cursor over the icons, the information is redundant for all icons, showing the distribution of the points, but not the meaning of each icon.

Posted on: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:39 pm

The "achievements" page (https://www.calcudoku.org/ops/achievements), accessible from the account dropdown,
now lists all achievements and when you got them.

Still to do the various translations.. [glare]

Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next