View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:10 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 support Ukraine 

Posted on: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:33 am

Post Re: support Ukraine
eclipsegirl wrote:
I had noticed that Sietse was using the Ukrainian flag. I am a bit late to to party to show support.
It is a wonderful idea. TY for prompt.

ditto

Posted on: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:38 am

How do I change my settings to show my country as Ukraine? I thought I had done so, but it doesn’t seem to have worked.

Posted on: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:54 am

paulv66 wrote:
How do I change my settings to show my country as Ukraine? I thought I had done so, but it doesn’t seem to have worked.

Go to settings (click Hello, name!) -> click "set your country" drop down menu -> scroll and click "save" at bottom. Maybe you didn't save?

pnm wrote:
alright, we all know this site is a-political, but this is just too much

the equivalent would be the US invading Canada, or the Netherlands invading Belgium

if you have an opportunity to support Ukraine, please do

a good opinion piece is here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ia-ukraine

Thanks for the article - very impressed with the Guardian lately.

Posted on: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:34 pm

Re: support Ukraine
Can users from Russia give some feedback about what info is accessible from there?

Can you still get to twitter / facebook / BBC news / the Guardian / ... ?

(ok to send email if you'd rather not reply here)

Posted on: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:34 pm

Re: support Ukraine
my 2 cents today:

https://twitter.com/calcudokudotorg/sta ... 5456594949

Posted on: Mon May 09, 2022 4:11 am

Post Re: is the site becoming less interesting / attractive?
Hi, Patrick. If calcudoku.org has been alive and well overall for 13 years, you're obviously doing something right! I'm sure at least a handful of people here are either in school or are thinking about going back to school. Given that it's the month of May, studying for final exams is probably their all-consuming passion right now. For those getting ready to graduate, finding a good job is a very important task as well. Yet plenty of others might simply need to work overtime due to the nature of their occupations (first responders and medical personnel especially). A lot of folks here might be dealing with a serious illness or injury themselves or know other people that do. Or perhaps a bunch of folks here might have just welcomed a baby or several into their lives, or are least planning to eventually do so.

COVID, of course, is still part of everybody's lives in some way, shape or form. While it's great that things have vastly improved overall since March 2020, some countries have to be especially cautious right now. Obviously, the best thing for everybody is to simply get vaccinated and preferably boosted as well. Unfortunately, many countries may have very few vaccines or boosters or none at all. For those areas generally keeping COVID at bay, a lot of people are "making up for lost time" and doing things that were simply out of the question when coronavirus hammered us all.

Last but not least, there's obviously the conflict going on between Russia and Ukraine that has the whole world on edge. Putin is cracking down on basically every aspect of his people's lives, not the least of which is access to the internet. Meanwhile in Ukraine, President Zelensky is going to need "all hands on deck" to fend off the invading Russian forces.

For those of you from Ukraine: I'm really sorry that so many innocent people have lost their lives, and I can't even begin to imagine how difficult and terrifying this is for you guys. Please know that I stand in solidarity with you, and I pray that President Zelensky will ultimately be victorious over Putin and his political cronies. Stay strong, and never give up!

For those of you from Russia: You guys have contributed a great deal of important, good and fun stuff to the world: vodka, Tolstoy's literature, the periodic table, and Tetris, to name just a few. I feel sorry for all of the totalitarian nonsense you folks have had to deal with for so long, and I pray that you'll soon have a leader who deeply cares for and about Russia inside and out. Somebody who cares about YOU guys, not JUST themselves and nobody but themselves. I regret knowing that so many innocent people are being severely punished industrially, financially, etc all because of the atrocities that Putin is committing in Ukraine. I'm keenly aware that Russia's soldiers have families of their own, and I hate to see ANYBODY die. On the other hand, I'm relieved that many civilians and soldiers alike absolutely detest what Putin is doing and want to give him the heave-ho.

I rest my case.

skeeter84

Posted on: Fri May 13, 2022 11:13 am

.. this is some story:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... m-mariupol

Posted on: Sun May 15, 2022 8:51 pm

.. and a follow-up story:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -companion

Posted on: Tue May 17, 2022 10:46 pm

And this may be a good read for our puzzlers in Russia:

https://www.economist.com/interactive/i ... putin-show

(if the Economist isn't blocked already of course)

Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2