View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:12 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 subscribe to the site! 

Posted on: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:52 pm

Post Re: subscribe to the site!
pnm wrote:
A small update to the subscription functionality: it is now (finally) fully automatic,
i.e. if you get a subscription (or extend your current one), it'll be activated/extended
right away.

I'm reviving this reeeally old topic to clarify: how exactly does “adding a new subscription” work with respect to the current subscription? Mine ends on June 25, 2019. If I resubscribe on June 18, will I lose a week, i.e. will the new period end on June 18 2020 or on June 25 2020?

Profile WWW

Posted on: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:54 pm

ambidexter wrote:
how exactly does “adding a new subscription” work with respect to the current subscription? Mine ends on June 25, 2019. If I resubscribe on June 18, will I lose a week, i.e. will the new period end on June 18 2020 or on June 25 2020?

It gets added to the end, as you'd expect :-)

You'd think that otherwise people would have complained by now [tongue]

Posted on: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:40 pm

pnm wrote:
You'd think that otherwise people would have complained by now [tongue]

Not necessarily. Take my cell phone operator for example: it offers various tariffs, including 2 GB of Internet for 30 days at a ridiculous price of 100 ₽ (~1.4 €). Now, what happens if you are out of traffic five days before expiration date? You can buy more gigabytes. And you would expect the new package to last 30 days starting from the day of purchase, right? But no, it will expire in five days, because that's how their billing cycle works. It's all explained in their rules.
So I wouldn't have been surprised to hear that I would lose a week.
Russians are used to ruses [tongue]

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

// I wonder why no one has complained that the language of this page https://www.calcudoku.org/ops/subscribe/en/ depends on the currency, i.e. $ is all in English, but when I choose €, the buttons here https://www.calcudoku.org/ops/subscribe/en/eur are in Dutch (“Nu kopen” and “Doneren”) [unsure]
P.S. And the resulting notification is in Dutch, too: “Bedankt voor het abonneren!”, etc.

Profile WWW

Posted on: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:39 pm

ambidexter wrote:
I'm reviving this reeeally old topic to clarify: how exactly does “adding a new subscription” work with respect to the current subscription? Mine ends on June 25, 2019. If I resubscribe on June 18, will I lose a week, i.e. will the new period end on June 18 2020 or on June 25 2020?

I remember I asked this question about a year ago when I was on a mission to complete all the book puzzles. There's a book that's given out with your second renewal and mine was several months away. So I asked patrick if I could renew early and was pleasantly surprised to find out that not only could I renew early, but my subscription would run from the expiry of my 2nd year subscription.

But I agree that it's not universal. For example, if you renew your Irish passport early, it runs from the date the new passport is issued, not the expiry date of your current passport. I find this very unfair, but I guess it's something you have to put up with it you want to travel abroad close to the expiry date of your passport.

Posted on: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:47 am

paulv66 wrote:
if you renew your Irish passport early, it runs from the date the new passport is issued, not the expiry date of your current passport.

Why, same goes for Russian foreign passports. (Yes, we've got two types of IDs: the inner one and the one for traveling abroad.) My first foreign passport lasted from July 01 1999 to July 01 2004, the next one was from May 15 2004 to May 15 2009, and so on. But that's quite logical: I mean, they don't prolong the old passport, they nullify it and issue a new one, with a new number and everything.

All in all, I suggest that this should be mentioned somewhere in the description: “When you purchase a new subscription, it will be attached seamlessly to the end of the old one”… or something like that; English isn't my strongest side [biggrin]

Profile WWW

Posted on: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:50 am

ambidexter wrote:
I wonder why no one has complained that the language of this page https://www.calcudoku.org/ops/subscribe/en/ depends on the currency, i.e. $ is all in English, but when I choose €, the buttons here https://www.calcudoku.org/ops/subscribe/en/eur are in Dutch (“Nu kopen” and “Doneren”) [unsure]
P.S. And the resulting notification is in Dutch, too: “Bedankt voor het abonneren!”, etc.

Thanks for pointing that out, I actually have to create separate paypal "buttons" for each language/currency combo,
so should create some for the combination € + English ... [mellow]

Posted on: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:02 pm

pnm wrote:
separate paypal "buttons" for each language/currency combo

Why do you stick to the currency when defining the language? Is it the requirement of your bank?

The way I see it, everything within /subscribe/en should be in English, /subscribe/nl – in Dutch, etc, regardless of currency. Otherwise it looks somewhat strange:

(BTW why is the green stripe always in English?)

Profile WWW

Posted on: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:39 pm

ambidexter wrote:
Why do you stick to the currency when defining the language? Is it the requirement of your bank?

No bank involved:

Paypal supports setting a language + currency for a button,
but I have to create a separate button for each price and each combination.

(so I should add English + Euro buttons)(quite a bit of work to add this, because
this has to be done in the whole "payment pipeline")(but will get round to it eventually [sleep] )

Posted on: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:15 am

Sorry in advance if I missed this, but it looks like 51 Advanced Puzzles Volume II doesn't contain any codes for submitting solutions? Has this feature been disabled?

Posted on: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:23 pm

jpersky wrote:
Sorry in advance if I missed this, but it looks like 51 Advanced Puzzles Volume II doesn't contain any codes for submitting solutions? Has this feature been disabled?

The final 11 puzzles in the book should have a code,
please let me know if they're missing somehow.

Reply to topic   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9