View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Overestimation of twin puzzles. 

Posted on: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:21 pm

Post Overestimation of twin puzzles.
Twin puzzles are much more difficult to create and perhaps that is why they are quite rare on other web pages. Respect to Patrick for their generation algorithm. Perhaps because of the complexity of the computer program, they are classified as medium and difficult.
They are interesting, but are much easier to solve than other puzzles of the same level and are not worth such a large number of points.
I propose to retrain them to easy and medium levels and reduce the number of points awarded to them from 2021-01-01.

Posted on: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:06 am

Post Re: Overestimation of twin puzzles.
With the idea that points are points, you may get some people fighting against the idea.
I know Patrick would appreciate it we were less competitive.

In the latest volume of puzzles, ADV IV, puzzle 101 is a twin puzzle that uses only the MOD operator.
I liked it as it was a switch up on what we normally see.

Perhaps the request should be an attempt to make twins more challenging by using more operators?

Posted on: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:31 am

I like the twins as they give me a bit of a breather from the harder ones.....nice to relax once in awhile while doing a puzzle.......the hardest one I find is the no-op twin......but there has been the odd 0-4 twin puzzle that has given me fits because so many of the cells are zeroes!:)...but today's difficult twin gave me a little trouble !

Posted on: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:44 am

mikas wrote:
Twin puzzles are much more difficult to create and perhaps that is why they are quite rare on other web pages. Respect to Patrick for their generation algorithm.

I would say that twin puzzle are easier to create. When I have created some twin puzzles I have just created two puzzles with the same solution, by having two sets of cages to work with it makes it much easier to have only one possible solution.

Posted on: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:13 pm

Yes, it’s an easy path, but it also creates an easy-to-solve puzzle.
One way to make it harder is to combine two adjacent cages in one puzzle or split one cage into two parts and connect them to adjacent cages. Then do so in another puzzle, and so on until we maintain the condition of the only one possible solution.
However, it was hard enough to program and I lacked the patience to implement it.

Posted on: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:10 pm

Just to throw in my two cents worth ...

I think there are enough difficult puzzles already and it’s nice to be able to pick up a few points for relatively easy puzzles. Can make a nice change of pace.

Posted on: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:57 pm

Quote:
However, it was hard enough to program and I lacked the patience to implement it.

I create my puzzles by typing numbers into a spreadsheet, the only programming I need is drawing the puzzle, and creating the pattern of numbers. Sometimes I create the number pattern myself. It is a slow way to create puzzles, but I like the challenge.

paulv66 has a good point, about there being enough difficult puzzles. The twin puzzles make for an interesting puzzle and that is why I like them.

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]