View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bitwise Or 

Posted on: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:46 pm

Post Bitwise Or
Today the Bitwise Or puzzle has me going in circles......have had so much trouble with the 6-4,2-6,2-4 and the 1-3,2-3,1-2 combinations......have attempted this puzzle 3 times now spending a full hour each time and no where near a solution and so have to give up on this one [cursing].....thought I would give it one more try (as all others were late last night) with a ---morning brain---and OMG, I fluked out and got a green screen woohoo [thumbup]

Posted on: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:48 am

Post Re: Bitwise Or
Below is an image showing how the puzzle can be solved, it demonstrates that X pairs (or x wings) can still be useful if a value is in a cage with 3 cells.

1. h2=3 (h2 is the only cell in column h that can be 3)
2. g2=2
3. cage g4 = 4,6
4. noting the pair in cage g4: cage g6 = 5,8
5. the cells in cage a6 can be anything, but one of the cells must be 8

This gives us an X pair with the value 8 in rows 6&7 (the cells coloured blue)

6. cage d6 = 1,7
7. both cages d7 & f7 =1,2,3

Now we have the X pair from step 5, paired values in cage d6, and a 3 way pair in cells d7,e7,f7 with the values 1,2,3 , and that is all that is needed to complete the puzzle only using basic steps (I know 3 way pair must be the wrong phrase, but you know what I mean).

Posted on: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 am

Today's 'bit' puzzle was a disaster for me as I just had to give up after 80 minutes......tried all sorts of combinations and thought I got close a couple of times but in the end was left with a number of cages that did not make sense......I see only 35 have solved it so far so am thinking this must be one of the harder ones [crying]

Posted on: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:00 am

beaker wrote:
Today's 'bit' puzzle was a disaster for me as I just had to give up after 80 minutes......tried all sorts of combinations and thought I got close a couple of times but in the end was left with a number of cages that did not make sense......I see only 35 have solved it so far so am thinking this must be one of the harder ones [crying]

It didn’t strike me as particularly difficult. I checked my solved puzzles record and it shows the puzzle as being solved 9 minutes and 3 seconds after I solved the previous puzzle. I’d say this is probably a fairly typical time for me with this type of puzzle.

I find that highlighting the 8s helps me to see an overall pattern for this type of puzzle.

Posted on: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:03 am

Thank you.......I will try again later

Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]