View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:24 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 5x5 timed 

Posted on: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:23 pm

Post 5x5 timed
I’m finding it harder and harder to pick up extra points in the timed puzzles. I seem to keep getting stuck in the 8x8 (maybe three times a week or thereabouts) and consequently failing to make the top 25. But today I did my third best ever 5x5 (in 33.859) and I find that I’m already outside the top 25 with almost three hours to go! [scared] [confused] [cursing]

Posted on: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:29 am

Post Re: 5x5 timed
If I remember correctly, you solve with a touch screen?

When I'm traveling and solve timed puzzles on my phone - so using touch screen instead of keyboard - I will sometimes only solve one puzzle of each size because I know I'll end outside the top 25. I really do recommend trying to solve with a keyboard for a few days, or a week, or a month. It might feel strange at first but if your times don't improve.

Posted on: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:03 am

jaek wrote:
If I remember correctly, you solve with a touch screen?

When I'm traveling and solve timed puzzles on my phone - so using touch screen instead of keyboard - I will sometimes only solve one puzzle of each size because I know I'll end outside the top 25. I really do recommend trying to solve with a keyboard for a few days, or a week, or a month. It might feel strange at first but if your times don't improve.

Thanks Jaek. Yes, you remember correctly. I’ve always used a touch screen and I find that I tend to keep hitting the wrong keys if I use a keyboard. I guess I need to persevere, but I’ve always typed using mostly my right hand and maybe one or two fingers of my left hand, which seems to have a mind of its own that doesn’t want to respond to the commands it receives from my brain! [confused]

Anyway, I’ll give it a try. I’m going away for the weekend, so I won’t get an opportunity to try it out for a couple of days.

Posted on: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:05 pm

Sometimes I am forced to use my phone for the timed puzzles. Then it is extremely rare for me to make the top 25 on timed puzzles. Probably relatively "easiest" to achieve on the 6x6, since as you are putting in the numbers, you have time to think (and you don't have time to think on the smaller puzzles, as you should be racing around the board to fill it out).

It is extra frustrating when doing that when you get an easy puzzle - because then filling it out with a keyboard would have been so much quicker. Don't think I would have managed 28.523 on a 6x6 (my personal best by more than 7 seconds) today on a touchpad, even if I had the dexterity of a 15-year old. You lose too much time in the hand movements.

With timed puzzles, if you want to have a shot at the bonus points for speedy solutions, the best thing is to practice using a keyboard. Try it with the regular smaller puzzles, and see if you improve, before trying the timed ones. You could also try simple games, that allow you to get used to using to using the arrow keys with your left hand.

Hopefully that will lead to some improvement Paul.

Posted on: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:20 pm

Usually nowhere close to Top 25 for 5x5. Usually 40-45s. Previous best was 30s.

Somehow got a 23.09s yesterday and made top 10.

Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]