View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:35 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Rankings by year 

Posted on: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:17 pm

Post Re: Rankings by year
pnm wrote:
18 months already is an insane run! [scared]

It was a good run. I am trying to get my daily average to 48 points (had been about a year since I crossed the 47 mark), and slowly getting there. I think among all people who have never subscribed, I must have close to the highest daily point average. Could be wrong on that though.

We'll see how long the next solving all puzzles streak will be. [biggrin] But with real life being randomly demanding, I am grateful for not being a sub. I am not sure if the pressure of having more puzzles to solve would be that beneficial.

paulv66 wrote:
I understand your frustration. I also had a long uninterrupted streak that ended earlier this year. Since then, I’ve failed to solve a few other puzzles within their time limit and I’m hoping to get back on track next year. But it has become something of an obsession.

Yeah, it can be frustrating. At the moment I feel like, 'why bother?'. Then I got a decent time in the timed 6*6 (34.2seconds, 4th best for me), so I am encouraged to go on.

But I think key is to find a routine that works and reduces the risk of getting into time pressure due to unsolved puzzles at the end of the day. Yesterday simply proved to be too hectic. That is life, and I think we will have to be able to 'forgive' ourselves for having lives.

Posted on: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:37 pm

ddarthez wrote:
But with real life being randomly demanding, I am grateful for not being a sub. I am not sure if the pressure of having more puzzles to solve would be that beneficial.

I will soon offer a new subscriber level that _reduces_ the number of puzzles you can solve in a day [flapper]

Posted on: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:56 pm

ddarthez,
I feel for you.

I have been going through some real life stuff also, and have thought I might not get all the puzzles done.
I have stopped doing the timed puzzles regularly and that helps a bit.

Last yr, I missed a single puzzle, a 2 pt Sudoku, in March of 2020. I was so mad at myself for that one.

My streak is 19 months.
As a subscriber, I take advantage of being able to delay doing the one EXTRA puzzle and then getting caught up when I have a little more time.

2021 will be my year to get ALL the puzzles done as we havent traveled. We plan on traveling next year. Traveling, and time changes make it a challenging to get all the puzzles done in a day.

Posted on: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:08 pm

Well, I messed up. I am so angry and let down on myself.

Somehow I forgot to do the 2 pt Sudoku yesterday (Saturday).
I can't believe that I let it happen, but I did.

My streak was around from Early March 2020 til yesterday about 20 months.

I am so mad at myself. I had the time for the Sudoku.

Posted on: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:03 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:

That’s extremely frustrating. I did something similar earlier this year, and although I had already missed a couple of puzzles previously, I felt like kicking myself.

Anyway, it’s water under the bridge now.

Posted on: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:55 am

I did the puzzle the next day.

I had been looking at so many puzzles that my addition was wrong.
I went to world leader of the year to date scores and thought I was only 15 behind which made sense, I hadn't done a 15 x 15.
I must have been 17 behind, but my brain was frazzled and I made the mistake. I was happy to be done with number puzzles for the day and didnt double check the green bar.

Its my fault. It still sucks. I was so damn close.

Posted on: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:51 am

eclipsegirl wrote:

So sorry to hear this. So close to the end of the year as well. If not 2022, then hopefully you can get this out of the way in 2023.

Usually travel is a real killer for streaks. There is several times that I somehow managed to solve the puzzles at 3 AM, leave for the airport at 4 AM, take my flight, and if there is a connecting flight, do one or two remaining puzzles in the airport / on arrival at destination at 9 PM. I am not going as far as booking my flights for Tuesdays (when there are no big puzzles, and the 9x9 has to be solved by Thursday), but ... can't say I have not thought about it. It is all far from ideal. And that is assuming your reason for travel allows solving puzzles. Which is often not the case.

I think it would be useful to be given the option on 'solve next puzzle' to include the killers and the sudokus. That way, you'll get a reminder that those are unsolved. That is how I messed up in the middle of moving house last year. And that probably would have saved your streak too.

Posted on: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:15 am

ddarthez wrote:
I think it would be useful to be given the option on 'solve next puzzle' to include the killers and the sudokus. That way, you'll get a reminder that those are unsolved. That is how I messed up in the middle of moving house last year. And that probably would have saved your streak too.

Yes, that's a good idea.

I think the "solve next puzzle" feature was added before there were Sudokus or Killer Sudokus on the site (not sure).

Posted on: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:10 pm

ddarthez wrote:
Usually travel is a real killer for streaks. There is several times that I somehow managed to solve the puzzles at 3 AM, leave for the airport at 4 AM, take my flight, and if there is a connecting flight, do one or two remaining puzzles in the airport / on arrival at destination at 9 PM. I am not going as far as booking my flights for Tuesdays (when there are no big puzzles, and the 9x9 has to be solved by Thursday), but ... can't say I have not thought about it. It is all far from ideal. And that is assuming your reason for travel allows solving puzzles. Which is often not the case.

Not traveling due to Covid is why I had this long a streak.
Usually we travel a few times a year, so we can dive.

Travel days for us are usually Saturday. While the KS isnt usually as hard as Friday's difficult KS, it is not always easy, either.

Patrick, TY for considering Ddarthez's suggestion.

Posted on: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:11 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
I did the puzzle the next day.

I’ve missed quite a few puzzles this year, mostly due to running out of time. In one case, this was by less than a minute. The annoying/stupid thing was that I had solved that day’s extra puzzle earlier in the day before tackling the killer sudoku. I guess one thing I should be doing if I want to keep a perfect record is to ensure that I tackle all the puzzles that need to be solved that day before I even look at the extra puzzle or the puzzles that you have 2 or 3 days to solve.

If I miss out on a puzzle, I always do it the following day before looking at the solution. Most of the puzzles I missed this year were killer sudokus and I always found these very easy to solve the following morning when I wasn’t under time pressure. Maybe I should try doing them first?

Anyway, here’s hoping that both of us can keep a perfect record next year.

Reply to topic   [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next