View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 is the site becoming less interesting / attractive? 

Posted on: Sun May 15, 2022 12:59 pm

Post Re: is the site becoming less interesting / attractive?
kenk wrote:
Another suggestion would be to “block” the numbers that are “used up”. So in a 6x6, if you have put in 6 sixes, the 6-button would become faded or something to warn you. Maybe not in the strict version where you don’t get warnings if you make a mistake.

Yes, this would be another solving aid.
There must be many possibilities.

(an extreme one that a lot of puzzle sites have is a "hint" button, that just reveals a number of the solution (!))

Posted on: Sun May 15, 2022 1:01 pm

mparisi wrote:
I don't really like the color change, primarily because the easy/medium/difficult backgrounds are the same color as an unsolved puzzle so you can't just look for the lack of white on the bar to know if you have done all the puzzles for the day.

This is almost true.
But yes, the difference is very small now.

I'll look at using a different background.

edit: I put a similar background colour there, while I try to figure out what to do with these colours.. [mellow]

Suggestions for the "top three colour bands" are appreciated [love]

Posted on: Sun May 15, 2022 10:14 pm

While we're requesting features, I believe it used to be possible for = to turn an unfilled cell green, which I would find valuable for visualizing what rows/columns already have a given digit in them without potentially filling an incorrect digit. This was especially useful in the cases of like x-wings or swordfish, but at some point I think this went away.

Posted on: Sun May 15, 2022 11:01 pm

starling wrote:
While we're requesting features, I believe it used to be possible for = to turn an unfilled cell green, which I would find valuable for visualizing what rows/columns already have a given digit in them without potentially filling an incorrect digit. This was especially useful in the cases of like x-wings or swordfish, but at some point I think this went away.

Thanks for the note, that must have been a while ago.
I'll see what's involved in re-enabling that.
(maybe there was a discussion about this in the past?)

Posted on: Mon May 16, 2022 12:31 am

A "hint" button - like it but only for > 7x7's.......but that is only because, I find with my age that what was obvious before has now become more obtuse:)

Posted on: Mon May 16, 2022 12:52 am

starling wrote:

I use the " + " sign to highlight any number to the green colour.....I thought everybody did too

Posted on: Mon May 16, 2022 11:23 am

beaker wrote:
starling wrote:

I use the " + " sign to highlight any number to the green colour.....I thought everybody did too

This key works: Image
(on standard US layout keyboards).

But also the large + key on the numeric keypad I notice now [smile]

Posted on: Sat May 21, 2022 11:39 am

Patrick,
at the moment, when you complete a timed puzzle, the pop up says to you how long time it took and how many timed puzzles of that size you have done.
Would it be possible in your opinion to add also the ranking position that with that time you have reached in that moment?

This because when I get a "good" time, I have the curiosity to know which position I got, and to know it, the path is not so "fast" [biggrin] (several clicks to go back and forth)

Posted on: Sat May 21, 2022 12:28 pm

vittorio wrote:
Patrick,
at the moment, when you complete a timed puzzle, the pop up says to you how long time it took and how many timed puzzles of that size you have done.
Would it be possible in your opinion to add also the ranking position that with that time you have reached in that moment?

This because when I get a "good" time, I have the curiosity to know which position I got, and to know it, the path is not so "fast" [biggrin] (several clicks to go back and forth)

Right, good suggestion, thanks. I did think of that one (even a feature where you'd see
your "live ranking" _while_ solving the puzzle [biggrin] [scared] ).

I'll see if/when I can put that in (the ranking info after completing a timed puzzle).

edit: this should be in there now. English only for now, still to translate to the other languages.

Posted on: Mon May 23, 2022 11:25 am

Congratulations, (in the rankings as kenk), you solved the puzzle!
This was the 7×7 extra puzzle of 2022-05-23, solved on 2022-05-23.

Just had this message in my screen after completing today’s extra.
And I’ve always wondered why there would be brackets around the phrase (in the rankings as kenk).

One could argue that in this case kenk is not a real name (it’s not, by the way). But then you would put it like this, in my humble opinion.
Congratulations (in the rankings as) kenk, you solved the puzzle!

But why the mystery? Why not use someone’s chosen screen name for the congratulations, and simply go
Congratulations kenk, you solved the puzzle!
I for one wouldn’t be offended, not at all!

Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next