View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Difficult killer sudoku 29 July 2022 

Posted on: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:08 am

Post Difficult killer sudoku 29 July 2022
I really, really, really struggled with this puzzle. Not only could I not solve it, I could only identify the numbers in 2 cells, I3 and I4. Try as I might, I couldn’t make any further inroads. I must have spent well over an hour today struggling with this puzzle, probably more like 3 or 4 hours, but who’s counting?

I’d welcome any insights from those of you who’ve solved it. How did you approach the puzzle and how did you get your hooks into it? I find I tend to struggle with Killer sudokus far more than I do with other puzzles and I’m struggling to understand why this is the case. Any insights anyone can provide would be extremely welcome and very much appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Posted on: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:40 am

Post Re: Difficult killer sudoku 29 July 2022
Just realised that this puzzle can still be submitted today, so I’m not looking for any hints until tomorrow. Maybe if I have a fresh look at it later today, I’ll figure out how to solve it.

Posted on: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:59 am

I found today’s Killer relatively straightforward, so maybe I was just having a bad day yesterday. I’ll have another go at yesterday’s puzzle later today.

Posted on: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:07 am

The Friday Killer Sudoku is supposed to be the most difficult one of the week,
but yes, yesterday's does seem a step up than what is usual on a Friday [scared]

Posted on: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:26 am

pnm wrote:
The Friday Killer Sudoku is supposed to be the most difficult one of the week,
but yes, yesterday's does seem a step up than what is usual on a Friday [scared]

I’m surprised to see that it’s already been solved 240 times, which is not that far off the average number of solvers over the previous 4 Fridays. I must have some kind of a blind spot, but hopefully I’ll manage to get my head around it. [namaste]

Posted on: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:25 pm

Solved it! [cool] [biggrin] Once I managed to get started, it was tricky but not impossible.

Not wanting to include spoilers for those who haven’t done it yet, I will say that I managed to sort out a few of the cells in the 3 columns on the right hand side of the puzzle and this gave me the start I needed to work through it.

Posted on: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:57 am

It has taken me probably 5 yrs of doing difficult KSs to feel comfortable with them.

The last two years it has been far easier for me to do KSs than when I first started. For me, lots of practice has made a difference. I know you have done all the books, but for others, solving the two KS books makes a difference in your ability do to the puzzles.

Like you, I sorted out columns on the right hand side.

After eliminating as many possibilities as I could analytically, I noticed that cells C4, D1, and F7 were affected each other, and only had two possibilities. That was where I started with trial & error.

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]