View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tis the Season for..... 

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:35 am

Post Tis the Season for.....
This is not meant to demean or disrespect any one but I would like to say "Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and may all your puzzles be solvable".......hope others can continue this thread with their "wishes".

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:33 am

Post Re: Tis the Season for.....
Merry Christmas!!

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:48 am

Prettige kerstdagen en gelukkig nieuwjaar.
Dutch for Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:57 am

Felis Navidade...Portuguese, or close as I have forgotten a lot of it, for Merry Christmas.

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:14 pm

silverscreen wrote:
Felis Navidade...Portuguese, or close as I have forgotten a lot of it, for Merry Christmas.

Silverscreen, Felis Navidade is not Portuguese, is "nearly" Spanish. In Portuguese " Feliz Natal e Bom Ano Novo" ( Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year).

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:25 pm

jomapil wrote:
silverscreen wrote:

Silverscreen, Felis Navidade is not Portuguese, is "nearly" Spanish. In Portuguese " Feliz Natal e Bom Ano Novo" ( Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year).

Merry Christmas, Felices Pascuas, Feliz Natal, Bon Natale, Joyeux Noël, Frohe Weihnachten, ...

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:16 pm

clm wrote:
jomapil wrote:
silverscreen wrote:

Merry Christmas, Felices Pascuas, Feliz Natal, Bon Natale, Joyeux Noël, Frohe Weihnachten, ...

Clm, isn't it a little "temprano" for Felices Pascuas? Isn't it "Feliz Navidad"?

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Happy Holidays!

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Happy holidays to those of all faiths and religious beliefs.

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:24 pm

jomapil wrote:
clm wrote:

Clm, isn't it a little "temprano" for Felices Pascuas? Isn't it "Feliz Navidad"?

Hi, jomapil, thank you, though this is not a "Calcudoku" subject, it gives me a nice opportunity for a different digression today (I hope Patrick understands our debate). The Christians in Spain celebrate three different "Pascuas": Pascua de Navidad (Christmas), Pascua de Pentecostés (when the Saint Spirit came over the Apostols, celebrated in a "Saint Thursday", around May and after the Easter Week, which usually comes in March or April) and the Pascua de Resurrección (Resurrection), which is the last sunday of the Easter Week.

I understand your question because it’s a little "difficult", in some parts of Spain (like in the Baleares Islands, Cataluña, etc., the monday inmediately after the Resurrection, the 'Lunes de Pascua', is a very important holiday and during the Easter Week they use to call you and say: 'Felices Pascuas' (in plural, though it should be in singular because there is only one 'Pascua', the Resurrection, during the Easter Week), however, in the rest of the country saying: 'Felices Pascuas', 'Feliz Navidad' or 'Felices Navidades' (in plural) is equivalent and commonly used from long time ago during Christmas time while during the Easter Week there are no congratulations or greetings as in Cataluña. Observe the four meanings in the printout of the dictionary of the RAE (Real Academia Española).
Meaning nr. 3 says: Each of the solemnities of the birth of Christ, the recognition and adoration of the Kings (Epiphany) and the coming of the Saint Spirit …

Meaning nr. 4: (plural, 'pl.' stands for 'plural'), that is, Pascuas, as in our digression): Time from the Nativity of our Lord Jesuschrist to the day of the Kings inclusive (the 'Magic Kings' is celebrated in Spain the 6th of January … and after this day all students return to classes … [crying] [crying] ).

Muito obrigado.

Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next