View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Tis the Season for..... 

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Post Re: Tis the Season for.....
Hi, Clm.
Throughout our life we are always learning. My birthday's place is frontier with a town of Spain (Ayamonte) and I had much contact with Spaniards but I ignored some of these Spanish customs.
Thank you very much for your explanations.
Merry Christmas and Felices Pascuas.

Posted on: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:29 pm

jomapil wrote:
Hi, Clm.
Throughout our life we are always learning. My birthday's place is frontier with a town of Spain (Ayamonte) and I had much contact with Spaniards but I ignored some of these Spanish customs.
Thank you very much for your explanations.
Merry Christmas and Felices Pascuas.

In fact I forgot the extended use of "Pascua de Reyes" (singular) though this comes within the "Pascua de Navidad" (the full period 24 Dec - Jan 06), but all this is only what we call in Spain "culturilla de barbero" (more or less well translated "the barber's small culture").

Merry Christmas and Feliz Natal, and a "próspero Año Nuevo" (more or less "profitable New Year"), we use this phrase instead of "happy" (I think "happy" is better).

I have not been enough lucky yet to visit South Portugal though I know it is a wonderful land, but I know well North Portugal and specially Lisbon.

Posted on: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:05 pm

jomapil,

Yes, you are correct. Thanks for clearing that for me. I should have called my mom before posting. LOL I have forgotten so much of my Brazilian Portuguese that it is sad. I asked my mom about the proper way to say Merry Christmas. She said Feliz Natal is the appropriate way but Brazilian Portuguese is a lot more slangy than proper Portuguese. Since Portuguese is very close to Spanish, Brazilians also say Navidade, but do not write it as the Spanish do...navidad. It's similar, I believe, to English speaking people using French words as part of the English vocabulary. Rendezvous comes to mind.

As far as Pascua is concerned, that is what we call Easter. LOL

I am glad I do not translate for a living.

Posted on: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Silverscreen, you don't need to be ashamed. If it is so then I don't put a word of mine at this forum.
I'd like to know how our friends of English language read my posts! :-) :-) :-)

Posted on: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:40 pm

jomapil wrote:
Silverscreen, you don't need to be ashamed. If it is so then I don't put a word of mine at this forum.
I'd like to know how our friends of English language read my posts! :-) :-) :-)

Compared to some of the things I see on facebook, you seem to be more fluent in English than about half of the people I graduated high school with.

There's the occasional fragmented sentence, and some words that I need context to figure out what you mean with them, but I never have any issues trying to pick up on what you mean.

On an unrelated note, happy Boxing Day to the puzzlers who actually get one (I think that's today, but I have a calendar which seems to think it's tomorrow, and honestly since I don't get to partake that makes it a bit difficult to tell when it is.).

Posted on: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:10 am

Thank you, Starling, for your words of encouragement. Anyway I feel myself at ease day after day with this daily practice here at the forum.

Posted on: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:29 am

starling wrote:
On an unrelated note, happy Boxing Day to the puzzlers who actually get one (I think that's today, but I have a calendar which seems to think it's tomorrow, and honestly since I don't get to partake that makes it a bit difficult to tell when it is.).

I believe Boxing Day is always Dec. 26th, the day after Christmas. All I know is that it's usually the day people go shopping because of sales, but in more recent years (at least here where I live), the sales go on for a week or even start before Christmas. I don't know the origin but I'm sure someone could google it.

Posted on: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:01 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
starling wrote:

I believe Boxing Day is always Dec. 26th, the day after Christmas. All I know is that it's usually the day people go shopping because of sales, but in more recent years (at least here where I live), the sales go on for a week or even start before Christmas. I don't know the origin but I'm sure someone could google it.

That's what I thought too, and there's an entire wikipedia section dedicated to how Boxing Day interacts with Christmas/itself falling on the weekend, but it's not really clear to me what happens in this situation, because I couldn't find a "Christmas is on a Sunday situation within it."

Apparently, though, the origin of Boxing Day, according to that same wikipedia page, is that in the days of servants, they would be allowed to go visit their families on the day after christmas, and the masters would send them with boxes of goods to survive with, much like the patronage system in Ancient Rome.

Posted on: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:39 pm

starling wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:
starling wrote:

Apparently, though, the origin of Boxing Day, according to that same wikipedia page, is that in the days of servants, they would be allowed to go visit their families on the day after christmas, and the masters would send them with boxes of goods to survive with, much like the patronage system in Ancient Rome.

I live near Toronto, Canada. As Sneaklyfox said Boxing Day lasts more than one day and people go crazy shopping hoping to get great deals.

When I was in grade school our French teacher told us Boxing Day originated in England. It was the day people put their Christmas gifts back in their respective boxes then returned them for a gift they preferred.

Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2