View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 more points for doing timed puzzles 

Posted on: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:57 pm

more points for doing timed puzzles
As of today, you'll score at least one point for each type of timed puzzle you solve:
positions 1 through 10 still get you 5,4,3,3,3,2,2,2,2,2 points respectively, all other
places get you 1 point.

Patrick

Posted on: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:26 am

Post Re: more points for doing timed puzzles
I feel like this is a good change for getting more people to do the timed puzzles.

It doesn't solve that awkward logjam we have right now at the top, though (Among the issues: My worst 4x4 time from today will probably still be within the top 5 times, and the problem from a few days ago where if I remember correctly, the 13th best overall time from the day got the person 3 points, and days like today, where within like 15 minutes of the start of the day I've got a time that only one person has beaten ever).

Are there more changes in the works to address that?

Posted on: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:40 am

starling wrote:
I feel like this is a good change for getting more people to do the timed puzzles.

Well it got me to try again.

Posted on: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:49 am

At least this way, people would be motivated to do the timed puzzles.

Posted on: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:10 am

I agree that this is a great mechanism for increasing people's interest in doing timed puzzles.

My problem is that I have no interest in doing timed puzzles and don't want to have any interest in doing timed puzzles.

With the current system, I'll probably pick up my three points most days, but without enthusiasm.

I continue to hope that a ranking will be posted that does not include timed puzzles for those of us that lack that interest.

Posted on: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:08 pm

sjs34 wrote:
I continue to hope that a ranking will be posted that does not include timed puzzles for those of us that lack that interest.

Yes, that will happen.

In fact, the code to compute the separate scores (regular, book, and timed points) is already there
(wrote that a while ago already),
what's still left to do is figure out a way how to best present that on the rankings page.

Patrick

Posted on: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 pm

sjs34 wrote:
I agree that this is a great mechanism for increasing people's interest in doing timed puzzles.

My problem is that I have no interest in doing timed puzzles and don't want to have any interest in doing timed puzzles.

With the current system, I'll probably pick up my three points most days, but without enthusiasm.

So it's timed but you can basically treat it as a regular puzzle if you don't liked timed. You only need to do of each of the sizes. 1 point for a 4x4 is really the same as doing the easy 4x4 which also gets you one point. The way I see it, it's the same as the regular easy 4x4. Granted, the 5x5 and 6x6 regulars usually award a few more points, but not much.

Posted on: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:07 am

pnm wrote:
As of today, you'll score at least one point for each type of timed puzzle you solve:
positions 1 through 10 still get you 5,4,3,3,3,2,2,2,2,2 points respectively, all other
places get you 1 point.

Patrick

Having completed 3 timed puzzles I didn't find 3 extra points in my total from yesterday......any reason why?

Posted on: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:49 am

beaker wrote:
Having completed 3 timed puzzles I didn't find 3 extra points in my total from yesterday......any reason why?

I checked, and it's showing 1 point for each of those for you.
They also should be visible in your history, let me know if not..

Patrick

Posted on: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:54 am

pnm wrote:
beaker wrote:

I checked, and it's showing 1 point for each of those for you.
They also should be visible in your history, let me know if not..

Ah, I see now, even though they were awarded, they were not shown in yesterday's ranking list.
That's fixed now.

Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]