View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 testing killer sudokus 

Posted on: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:41 am

Post Re: Killer Sudoku next puzzle link
BTW, now that the program generates regurlarly the very amused killer's, perhaps you could assign some points (3, 5, 7?, ... [confused]) to them (i.e., for all registered users, because the subscribers already have the extra puzzle), in this way you would not need to remove that interesting option if you provide in the future one of those only to the subscribers; at the same time people coming from the "sudokus" links would have the possibility of getting points with this option [biggrin].

Posted on: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:02 pm

BTW, (if I'm not wrong I think it was Clm the first one to talk about ), it must there be two types of puzzles in option. By example the timed puzzles only few puzzlers like them, the others solve them only to gain one point from each. We must choose ( XOR ) between two types of equal marking ( punctuation ).

( Maybe killer sudoku in option to timed puzzles ).

Site Admin

Posted on: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:14 pm

jomapil wrote:
BTW, (if I'm not wrong I think it was Clm the first one to talk about ), it must there be two types of puzzles in option. By example the timed puzzles only few puzzlers like them, the others solve them only to gain one point from each. We must choose ( XOR ) between two types of equal marking ( punctuation ).

I'm now thinking there could be a points limit per day.
That would solve the problem of having too many puzzles that
you "have to" solve in a day, and give complete flexibility in choosing
which puzzles to do.

Posted on: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:23 pm

calcpnm wrote:
jomapil wrote:

I'm now thinking there could be a points limit per day.
That would solve the problem of having too many puzzles that
you "have to" solve in a day, and give complete flexibility in choosing
which puzzles to do.

This is undoubtedly a very interesting idea (the justice again [biggrin]) and can reduce a little the time dedicated to the page, so making the other activities more productive :-); in this way each puzzler could configure everyday the preferred "credits", with the preferred type of puzzles (in a case like this, i.e., all 8x8's difficult, 9x9's and 12x12's would not necessarily have the same punctuation, the punctuation could vary according to the real difficulty level, etc.) but to implement it you would probably need again some formula, considering the special case of the timed puzzles that could produce an "overflow" to that "limit" since the final rankings for these is unknown until the end of the 24 hours CET (though the overflow could be "carried" to the next day ... ).
Anyway, that "limit" should be carefully balanced because there are puzzlers who like to do many puzzles everyday (in this context, the "limit" for subscribers should be 8 points up :-)).

BTW, jomapil, WRT the two different options for the extra puzzles (more easy, more difficult, ... ) I think it was honkhonk (IIRC) the first in giving the idea (also other puzzlers IIRC have commented on this subject, like beaker, sneaklyfox or the interesting comments of sjs34 WRT the convenience of the presence and weight of the "killer's").

Posted on: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Post Re: testing killer sudokus
I like the idea of points limit. I, for one, wouldn't mind spending less time doing the calcudokus even though I like them very much.

Posted on: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 am

I agree with sneaklyfox......but in my case I spend way too much time on these puzzles and with the warmer weather here now, I am cutting back on my "calcudoku time"......plus I just bought a new toy that I am spending more time with [thumbsup]

I still like the idea of replacing the 10x10 extra with the 9x9 "killer sudoku" [thumbsup]

Posted on: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I like the killer sudokus and think they are fun (although not nearly as much as the calcudoku puzzles).

Just a note for future improvement, when choosing the small cell size the numbers entered are not in the exact place they should be inside the boxes. This is especially visible when applying the bold on option.

Posted on: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:10 pm

madlo wrote:
Just a note for future improvement, when choosing the small cell size the numbers entered are not in the exact place they should be inside the boxes. This is especially visible when applying the bold on option.

Not sure what to do about this: because to fit the entered numbers, the clue number
should become smaller (and it also depends on a user's font settings).

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Very good news, we did it only with paper and pencil. Bye bye.

Posted on: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: testing killer sudokus
The Killer Sudoku solver isn't yet where it should be, but in any case:
the difficult Killer Sudokus should be a bit more difficult starting August 1st [omg]

Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next