View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:20 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Points limit 

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Post Re: Points limit
And I think it is fine the way it is [thumbsup]

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:25 pm

pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
Perhaps it would be convenient to reconsider that level of 42 points. In today's case, thursday, with only 1 additional point for the limit (43 vice 42) it would have been necessary to complete at least one more puzzle, the killer dificult or any of the other, let's say, 8x8 modulo or 9x9 (considering that the 12x12 could be kept for friday or saturday ... ).

Or reduce the number of points rewarded for a couple of puzzles..

This could narrow the "spectrum" to differentiate among the easy and the difficult.

BTW, perhaps it's interesing to complete the note (in the green screen) "You can score a maximum of 42 points ... " with " ... though you can continue doing puzzles to obtain the daily gold star ... " (it would be more clear for those puzzlers who do not follow the Forums).

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:30 pm

I didn't realize the 12x12 would count towards your 42 as I thought it would be kept separate as it can be solved over a period of time.....possibly the 16 points could also be spread out over the given length of time?!!

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 pm

beaker wrote:
I didn't realize the 12x12 would count towards your 42 as I thought it would be kept separate as it can be solved over a period of time.....possibly the 16 points could also be spread out over the given length of time?!!

All is beginning to sound over-complicated.
Maybe I should drop the points limit altogether [mellow]

Posted on: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:39 am

pnm wrote:
beaker wrote:

My thinking too right now. What I see happening here is a bit a case of "patch upon patch upon patch". Usually that's a sign that something more fundamental is wrong and a "redesign" is in order.

Posted on: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:32 am

mce wrote:
pnm wrote:

My thinking too right now. What I see happening here is a bit a case of "patch upon patch upon patch". Usually that's a sign that something more fundamental is wrong and a "redesign" is in order.

Good point. But I do think _some_ modification is in order. There are a lot of puzzles available every day.

Posted on: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:18 am

If we have to have a limit, it needs to be higher. The whole point of keeping track of points is to identify the best solvers. If I'm not smart enough or fast enough to keep up, that's fine.

Since this issue came up when we added killer soduko, why not make the limit the total for the "regular" puzzles for that day.

I also like the idea of the 12x12 being outside any limit you set.

Posted on: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:32 pm

I gotta admit - the last few days capped at 42 have been a delight. No more scrambling to get some difficult puzzle - it is fun again.

Clearly there are different wants and needs. Some want multi-dimensional, time lapsed clue brain twisters, some want "more of a challenge" whatever that might mean. I am certain the site could become impossible to all but a handful and some might then change their tune.

How to balance all the needs, including those of Patrick related to this site long term.

Can there be different levels of play where one could for example join the "42" club and be happy there, or join the Olympians and be forced to do only 25x25 difficult puzzles (kidding!!)

In any case
cheers to all:)

Posted on: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:21 am

ark5731 wrote:
- all puzzles counting: takes too much time for many who still want to be high on the ranking

And therein lies the problem. It seems that some people want to keep their high ranking AND spend less time on the site.

I sympathize with those people, because after spending a couple of hours (at least) per day for the past year and a half on the site, I'm now able to solve the 12x12s on a fairly consistent basis, as well as most of the other difficult ones. I've brought my times down substantially on the timed puzzles, and as of Aug 1, my 30-day average was 70 points per day--15-20 above where it was in a "good month" when I started out. At the same time, I know there are things I really should be doing besides playing calcudoku all weekend and every evening... and most mornings before work. I get it.

But asking Patrick to keep all the other eager puzzle solvers from being able to get a points advantage because you want to do something else is crazy. Not to mention selfish. [glare] You either have both the time and the skill to get the maximum points the site offers or you don't. If you've got the skill but not the time, you can't expect to get to the top (or stay at the top if that's where you are).

The rankings are a means of comparing yourself to everyone else, and I like being close to the top as much as the next person. But it seems like certain people are taking it way too seriously. They seem to feel that if the data were just presented in this way or that way, or limits were set, or the points were doled out differently, then they would be at the top--or closer to it. Somewhere here recently rickt said it's not like there's a pot of gold at stake. Hear, hear!

In reading all the discussion about points limits--and suffering though all the issues the limit raised in the past 4 days--I'm reminded strongly of Kurt Vonnegut's short story Harrison Bergeron. I'm not sure if you can find a copy online, but Wikipedia has a good summary of the story here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron.

Let's not have limits here. Let's just have fun and enjoy this fantastic site Patrick has created and not whine about having too much of a good thing. :-)

Posted on: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:41 am

GREAT POST [smile]

Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next