View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 new book with Killer Sudoku puzzles 

Posted on: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Post Re: new book with Killer Sudoku puzzles
pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
BTW, I just tried to send the first solution of the new book (I did it linking in the "... Tricky Puzzles book ... "), in this case for the puzzle 201, and received an error msg of "b21d8 is not a valid code", is it not possible to send the solutions yet?.

You should now be able to submit solutions.

I should change the books page so there is a single "submit solution" link for all books
(because there is a single page for all books anyway).

Patrick

I see the change in the link (it's perfect in this way with a common link though there were not problems in the past using any book link).

But I am still receiving the msg of "Sorry, this code: b21d8 is not a valid puzzle code" :-) (also with the code b21d5, puzzle nr. 202, much more difficult BTW than the 201).

Posted on: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 pm

clm wrote:
But I am still receiving the msg of "Sorry, this code: b21d8 is not a valid puzzle code" :-)

Oops, try again please [blink]
clm wrote:
(also with the code b21d5, puzzle nr. 202, much more difficult BTW than the 201).

Good, they're supposed to be in order of increasing difficulty, so wait until you get to number 250 [scared]

Posted on: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:17 pm

pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
But I am still receiving the msg of "Sorry, this code: b21d8 is not a valid puzzle code" :-)

Oops, try again please [blink]
clm wrote:
(also with the code b21d5, puzzle nr. 202, much more difficult BTW than the 201).

Good, they're supposed to be in order of increasing difficulty, so wait until you get to number 250 [scared]

Working OK now [thumbup], thanks, I was impatient for sending my first 9 points in killer sudoku [smile].

I am affraid I will not wait the ascending sequence until the 250, I think I'll try this as soon as I have a moment and let you know. :-) :-)

Posted on: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:47 pm

clm wrote:
I am affraid I will not wait the ascending sequence until the 250, I think I'll try this as soon as I have a moment and let you know. :-) :-)

Well, I'm sure you'll solve it in less than 30 minutes.
And then you won't be motivated to do any of the other puzzles anymore.. [glare]

Posted on: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:08 pm

pnm wrote:
clm wrote:

Well, I'm sure you'll solve it in less than 30 minutes.
And then you won't be motivated to do any of the other puzzles anymore.. [glare]

I have just solved this 250 (yes, around 45 minutes with some "family breaks", I am not very fast anyway), I'll send the solution tomorrow Sep 05 and no, no, I did not loose the motivation at all, these KSudokus are really amused, they require some "small" linear equations here and there but all of them are doable. The curious thing is that, in my opinion, the difficulty level is similar or even a little lower than, i.e., the 202 (in fact I have the feeling, and hope, that I will find someone in the middle surprisingly difficult). Really, as I have already commented, in my particular case, I have not needed till the moment the use of "the condition of no repetition of numbers inside a cage" (but perhaps this restriction could be useful in some specific puzzle).

Something that I am very curious about in this moment is in knowing if these KSudokus can be solved using only "analytical means" (since, "in some way", they "look like" a particular case of the Calcudoku, with, of course, the additional known Sudoku condition: 1 thru 9 in any 3x3 box or, consequently, the sum of 45 in any 3x3 box, which we could call the "supercage" or "hypercage") so I could extend the assertion "If a Calcudoku has a unique solution then it can be solved using only analytical means" to any type of numerical puzzle [smile].

Posted on: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:44 am

Well, I bought my e-book copy this weekend, but I'm not sure how many of those Difficult puzzles I'll be able to do... [blink]

Posted on: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:22 am

clm wrote:
Something that I am very curious about in this moment is in knowing if these KSudokus can be solved using only "analytical means" (since, "in some way", they "look like" a

I'm guessing yes. It looks like a large system of linear equations, with some conditions
on the variables (e.g. a1 in {1, 2, 3, 4} etc.). With Killer Sudoku being a more established
puzzle, there must be a paper already out there describing this.

And there are lots of fast LE solvers.

A Calcudoku you should be able to express as a set of non-linear equations then.

Patrick

Posted on: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:41 am

A few people (3 :-) ) have already bought the Killer Sudoku book, thanks :)

To those: do you have any suggestions for changes/improvements?

Now that it is still only on lulu.com, it's easy to publish revisions with corrections etc.
(once it's on Amazon, this is much harder)

thanks,

Patrick

Posted on: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:44 am

pnm wrote:

To those: do you have any suggestions for changes/improvements?

Now that it is still only on lulu.com, it's easy to publish revisions with corrections etc.
(once it's on Amazon, this is much harder)

thanks,

Patrick

The graphics of the first 200 puzzles look better, I refer to the continuous lines (from 201 thru 250 the continuous lines overlap the dotted lines; though now the size is bigger probably with only the continuous lines would be enough, not both simultaneously).

At least for the last 50 puzzles your classic "stars" rating would be interesting since they are supossed to be of different difficulty (it would be interesting also in the first 200 puzzles but less significant in this case since you have classified them in chapters).

In the introduction, a more concrete, precise, references to those web pages containing theory, techniques and strategies would be interesting too.

Posted on: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:30 pm

clm wrote:
The graphics of the first 200 puzzles look better, I refer to the continuous lines (from 201 thru 250 the continuous lines overlap the dotted lines; though now the size is bigger probably with only the continuous lines would be enough, not both simultaneously).

I'm not sure what you mean: surely the puzzles look the same,
except 201-250 are larger?
clm wrote:
At least for the last 50 puzzles your classic "stars" rating would be interesting since they are supossed to be of different difficulty

I tried to simplify by removing the stars. Also, all puzzles are supposed to be (roughly) in order of difficulty.
clm wrote:
In the introduction, a more concrete, precise, references to those web pages containing theory, techniques and strategies would be interesting too.

Yes, good point, I'll add some info there.

Edit: for example, this is a good page:
http://www.sudocue.net/killerguide.php

thanks,

Patrick

Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next