View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Timed puzzles time-outs 

Posted on: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Post Timed puzzles time-outs
I know I shouldn’t but I use a Windows XP Home Edition SP3 with the IExploder 8 :-). The thing is that too often the data transfer is not completed correctly and I receive msgs such: “Try it later, possible network problem … ” or “There were 3 attempts to send your solution, and it is still not working. Our apologies, please try again later ... ”, certainly unpleasant, specially when you have a “good time” [smile] (and you wait it to be scored) and, of course, the attempt is always counted.

I mainly use an USB-Modem with the Notebook and, even having a good HSUPA mobile connection (with a reasonable good speed), sometimes the connection stops for a while (no idea why), then it “restarts” but at that time the error msg has already been received. The question is: Would it be possible, instead of having only 3 attempts, separated by 20 seconds, as actually, to increase the number of attempts to, let’s say, 6 (or more) and to separate them, let’s say, by 30 seconds for the second group of 3, for instance?. This wouldn’t have any impact on those players with a good connection (or Operating System – Browser who knows) but it would improve the data transfer (browser-server) to those players with this type of problem (at this time I don’t know if there are more puzzlers experiencing this situation). Why not giving that opportunity to a correct solution that is already stored in the browser? (sometimes the connection, and the corresponding data transfer, can be forced simply by opening a new page, for instance, but this requires some additional time).

(Not really a bug, apologize)

Posted on: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 am

Post Re: Timed puzzles time-outs
[quote="clm"]I know I shouldn’t but I use a Windows XP Home Edition SP3 with the IExploder 8 :-). The thing is that too often the data transfer is not completed correctly and I receive msgs such: “Try it later, possible network problem … ” or “There were 3 attempts to send your solution, and it is still not working. Our apologies, please try again later ... ”, certainly unpleasant, specially when you have a “good time” [smile] (and you wait it to be scored) and, of course, the attempt is always counted.

I too get these types of messages but usually only just after I start the puzzles at the begginning of the 24 hour clock when a lot of other users are doing the same thing!

Posted on: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 am

clm wrote:
I know I shouldn’t but I use a Windows XP Home Edition SP3 with the IExploder 8 :-). The thing is that too often the data transfer is not completed correctly and I receive msgs such: “Try it later, possible network problem … ”

I get an automatic warning message when this happens, so I know
that it doesn't happen very often (less than 3 times a day), and that
it does happen quite often to clm :(

I'll try to think of something more robust, which I'd then only enable
for specific accounts, once I see there are frequent problems.

I'd be interested to know if you'd experience the same problems with Chrome instead of Internet Exploder.

(in the endless news about IE, here's the latest one:
http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/01/03/2 ... lorer-hole
in other words, IE6,7,8 have a security hole that is being exploited, and will not be fixed soon)

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:55 am

pnm wrote:

I'd be interested to know if you'd experience the same problems with Chrome instead of Internet Exploder.

(in the endless news about IE, here's the latest one:
http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/01/03/2 ... lorer-hole
in other words, IE6,7,8 have a security hole that is being exploited, and will not be fixed soon)

Patrick

The problem experienced occurs at any time during the day (differently than beaker, not only at the beginning of the 24 hour clock). Today I spent all 12 attempts. I'll try with Chrome next days in the same or a different PC ... thanks a lot.

Posted on: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:42 am

I use FireFox as browser and Win7 and ADSL (copper to the transformer house and from there glass fiber to the provider). I never have any problem. (Knock on wood)

Posted on: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:41 pm

nicow wrote:
I use FireFox as browser and Win7 and ADSL (copper to the transformer house and from there glass fiber to the provider). I never have any problem. (Knock on wood)

Win7-Firefox it's sure a better combination than mine, nicow, and I am quite sure that the wired connection is the ideal set-up and it's always better than any wireless ... The way to the provider ... (and to the Patrick's server, etc.) sometimes looks for me a long-long way ... :-) :-).

Btw, Patrick, today my "data transfer" has worked better, a miracle?, anyway I made yesterday a few tests with Chrome, with regular puzzles, as unregistered user, and registered, because I also get "stops" fm time to time in the loading phase ... , and no, no, something is wrong in my PC 'cause it seems that IE8, Chrome, and possibly the antivirus I use, AVG, have problems to live together (perhaps I must temporary uninstall the IE8, I'll see, ...) (additionally anytime I open a different browser I must restart the USB-Modem, ...). And honestly I must say that I donn't like the "informatic" problems [scared].

Posted on: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:56 pm

I now put in a special case for clm only: the timeout before an
attempt is repeated is now three times as long (number of tries is still 3)

Patrick

Posted on: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:56 am

pnm wrote:
I now put in a special case for clm only: the timeout before an
attempt is repeated is now three times as long (number of tries is still 3)

Patrick

Thank you very much, Patrick, for this modification, it will help a lot, yesterday I made my second best time in 4x4's.

Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]