View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted on: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:59 am

Post Re: 2.596
fb_12411 wrote:
that 4x4 would require typing properly 4 fields/sec, which is pretty unbelievable, unless it looked like your avatar...

My fast typing speed doesn't make me a robot. ;)

Posted on: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1rpopHUyHc

That's an old video of me doing a 4x4 one day, and that 6.2 is a fairly average day. I can assure you that we've been through this before, and some people are just that fast.

(And yes, the first part is buggy while the recording system adjusted itself. Just watch through it.)

Posted on: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:32 am

sheldolina wrote:
My fast typing speed doesn't make me a robot. ;)

it's not only fast typing, but also solving in the meantime, which makes it even more crazy.
and robots are based on humans, so you could say that we're all sort of robots, just organic ;)
starling wrote:
That's an old video of me doing a 4x4 one day, and that 6.2 is a fairly average day.

hats off

Posted on: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 pm

fb_12411 wrote:
that 4x4 would require typing properly 4 fields/sec, which is pretty unbelievable, unless it looked like your avatar...

It's even worse when you add in the keystrokes/mouse clicks needed to navigate between fields.

I've just always assumed that the lowest times are people either using solvers or else solving it using a dummy account, practicing the solution repeatedly, then going at it in their real account.

It would be interesting to see what the numbers would be like if there was a timed puzzle only available to subscribers. How many people would be willing to pay for two subscriptions just to have the fastest time?

Posted on: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:04 pm

mayaknife wrote:
It's even worse when you add in the keystrokes/mouse clicks needed to navigate between fields.

The fastest solvers use the keyboard only (mouse is way too slow)
mayaknife wrote:
I've just always assumed that the lowest times are people either using solvers or else solving it using a dummy account, practicing the solution repeatedly, then going at it in their real account.

No, it doesn't work that way. Note, from the top of the page where you start timed puzzles:

"you'll be presented with a puzzle from a large collection of puzzles of approximately the same difficulty level. You won't do the same puzzle twice."

So the two subscriptions trick doesn't work as well.

As I've said many times, I've spent a lot of time and effort to ensure that the timed puzzle results are valid.

And, from the videos page: http://www.calcudoku.org/ops/videos
you can check out a few videos of "starling" (the 2nd fastest puzzler after sheldolina) solving timed puzzles..

Finally, as you can see from the rankings, I do the timed puzzles myself as well, simply to get a sense of what is possible and realistic.

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:25 am

pnm wrote:
The fastest solvers use the keyboard only (mouse is way too slow)

Yeah, that's how I finally started getting 4x4 times under 30s (occasionally). I only mentioned the mouse for completeness.

mayaknife wrote:

pnm wrote:
No, it doesn't work that way. Note, from the top of the page where you start timed puzzles:
"you'll be presented with a puzzle from a large collection of puzzles of approximately the same difficulty level. You won't do the same puzzle twice."

Well slap me with a monkey and roll me in cheetohs. I don't know how many times I've been to that page without noticing that.

My apologies to any speedsters I may have maligned in my ignorance.

Posted on: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:51 am

mayaknife wrote:
My apologies to any speedsters I may have maligned in my ignorance.

Don't worry about it [smile]

Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2