View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 some site security changes 

Posted on: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Post Re: some site security changes
beaker wrote:
Got on to the site with the same warning but once on, every thing was normal speed (question: if the computer is cold not warm due to ambient temperatures, will its response be slower......always occurs in the AM before the room warms up but rarely in the PM after room is warmer!!??)

A computer typically performs better when colder.
When ambient temperature goes above 30 C or so (86 F), it is more likely to overheat and crash randomly
(but not run more slowly). This also greatly depends on how clean and well-ventilated it is. Older computers
usually have lots of dust inside clogging up the fans, making it run much hotter.

But, again, the temperature shouldn't affect how quickly stuff runs. Your problem sounds like
a bandwidth and/or CPU issue.
The slowness issue in the AM may be because certain "background programs" are accessing the internet,
downloading updates, using the CPU, etc. (and, for an old XP install, probably also malware).

beaker wrote:
Also, I don't get the warning until I try to log in.......but once I have, the warning vanishes.

Yes, only the password-related page use this certificate for encryption, the main page doesn't.
I should simply buy a certficate that's also recognized by older versions of XP, instead of doing
stuff on the cheap again [glare] (what with all this subscription income :-) )

Edit: it looks like that in some cases / for some browsers the server was "serving" the wrong certificate
(a default, insecure certificate). I had to find and change a setting buried somewhere in "Plesk" (the
software system that manages all sites on the server), this seems to have fixed things, please confirm...

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:17 am

Patrick: all is good now [smile] (what does CPU stand for?)......Ken

Posted on: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:18 am

Hey, Ken,

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

A central processing unit (CPU), also referred to as a central processor unit, is the hardware within a computer that carries out the instructions of a computer program by performing the basic arithmetical, logical, and input/output operations of the system.

If you aren't familiar with the site, click this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page and explore to your heart's content. There's a search field in the upper right corner, and you can find information on practically anything. And it's updated regularly. Stuff like the fact that John Harbaugh and the Ravens won the Super Bowl was updated within minutes of it happening. Amazing.

Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2