View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Calcudoku with diagonals 

Posted on: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:45 pm

Post Re: Calcudoku with diagonals
pnm wrote:

Here's a solution, one of 152 found by my solver:

5 4 3 1 6 7 2
2 5 1 4 7 6 3
6 1 5 7 3 2 4
4 2 7 6 1 3 5
1 7 4 3 2 5 6
7 3 6 2 5 4 1
3 6 2 5 4 1 7

Still something not quite right though, because it can't find a solution with different numbers on both diagonals [sad]

152!!! I did not imagine so many (without the restriction for the diagonals), this demonstrates anyway the difficulty of creating Calcudokus with a unique solution, specially if you do not include individual cells, like in this case, because always the permutations work against you (this was discussed a little bit in the past, in this Forum, IIRC).

Sure the correct solution (or solutions) is among those 152, though very tedious to find it "manually", that is, without an automatic filter, otherwise something would be too wrong in your solver :-) :-) (at least, some of us, seem to have one, I have verified mine, though we cann't show them until kozibrada does).

Posted on: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:49 pm

clm wrote:
Sure the correct solution (or solutions) is among those 152, though very tedious to find it "manually", that is, without an automatic filter, otherwise something would be too wrong in your solver

That is exactly the case: I wrote a simple automatic filter, and it filtered out all 152 [crying]

Posted on: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:51 am

Thanks for your reactions and I’m sorry for my late reaction. [blush]

I have used no solver nor other program to create or solve the puzzles, therefore paper, pen, pencil, gum and brain must suffice.
In the beginning, I did both diagonals, then I tried to add (row by row) all numbers. It managed maybe on the fifth attempt – sure, I was very lucky. [smile] Finally, I defined the cages (I wanted to keep symmetry of the puzzle)…

Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2