View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 the 2014 end-of-year puzzle 

Posted on: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:45 pm

Post Re: the 2014 end-of-year puzzle
Like others, I could not really work on the puzzle when it was first released.

I finally finished it today.
For some reason, I am having issues with submitting the solution.
It keeps telling me I am wrong.
Eventually I checked with your solution and my paper copy is correct.
I have tried to double and triple check the solution as typed into the book submission area.
I just can not figure out something that should be easy

Should you choose to do this in the future, I would like to ask you to do it as some type of special extra puzzle one where we can use the interface that you provide for solving all our other puzzles.

Posted on: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:18 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
For some reason, I am having issues with submitting the solution.
It keeps telling me I am wrong.

I checked the solution you've been trying to submit, and it is almost correct.
eclipsegirl wrote:
Should you choose to do this in the future, I would like to ask you to do it as some type of special extra puzzle one where we can use the interface that you provide for solving all our other puzzles.

Just producing the puzzle took _a lot_ of time, I didn't have time to also put it online.
So should I choose to do this in the future, it most likely will again be a printable PDF... [mellow]

Posted on: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:25 pm

pnm wrote:
Alright, if you're still stuck,
then here is the solution...

[sleep]

Just as a curiosity, how many correct solutions were sent during the "official window", 30 days?.

Posted on: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks patrick.
i will do quadruple check it.

Thanks for the help

EDIT:
I found my mistake.
That just goes to show I should always work from the messy, highly erased copy and not try to make a nice copy.
I transposed two numbers and then all my checks were with the working copy.

UGH

Last edited by eclipsegirl on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:15 am

clm wrote:
Just as a curiosity, how many correct solutions were sent during the "official window", 30 days?.

46 !

And you were number 3 [smile]

(but the first one to solve it used a solver, as far as I know)(so you really are 2nd [woot] )

Last edited by pnm on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Is that taking into account that clm had to wait a day to submit his answer? :P

And how far down the list was my submission? I didn't bother solving it until I saw it was worth book points. :( Was there an initial copy of the pdf that didn't give the puzzle a book code, or was I just spacing out when I looked over it initially? I could have sworn there was no option to submit the answer when I first looked at the puzzle.

Posted on: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:50 pm

firefly wrote:
Is that taking into account that clm had to wait a day to submit his answer? :P

And how far down the list was my submission? I didn't bother solving it until I saw it was worth book points. :( Was there an initial copy of the pdf that didn't give the puzzle a book code, or was I just spacing out when I looked over it initially? I could have sworn there was no option to submit the answer when I first looked at the puzzle.

Thank you, firefly, for the clarification, very kind, I had forgotten that, I see in the records that the puzzle was published late on Dec 29, I tried to send the solution on Dec 30 but unfortunately I had already sent a book solution that day so I could not send it properly until Dec 31.

Thank you, Patrick, for the information, I was curious just to see how many puzzlers are enough patient to complete this large puzzles and I realize that there are many [thumbsup] [thumbsup] .

Posted on: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:52 pm

firefly wrote:

You were 5th.

And yes, I think I decided a bit later to award points for the puzzle, so you probably had a PDF without a book code [sad]

Posted on: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:34 pm

clm: 46 puzzlers sent in the correct solution........I would say that was NOT very many.........thinking about how many do have access to this site (unless you mistook the exclamation point as a one)...... I did try it but just could not see where some of the numbers would fit......c'est la vie........Ken

Posted on: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:06 am

beaker wrote:
clm: 46 puzzlers sent in the correct solution........I would say that was NOT very many.........thinking about how many do have access to this site (unless you mistook the exclamation point as a one)...... I did try it but just could not see where some of the numbers would fit......c'est la vie........Ken

Yes, clearly it's more difficult if you only have the .pdf printout (>>> pencil and eraser [confused]) because of the possible mistakes in the operations, position of numbers (duplications), etc., than when you have the "Continuous error checking" feature; in the other hand, perhaps puzzlers who can not score points are not very motivated, etc., it's difficult to say, I remember the times when a 12x12 had a low number of solvers, ... , but certainly times have changed and the club is much wider now (i.e., in about one year and a half or so the number of participants from Japan has increased from 2 or 3 to 300, this is something fantastic).

This particular "End of the Year" was some difficult (large cages, etc.), in fact the software has been improved and it's actually able to design more difficult puzzles, like the 17x17's, more difficult killers, puzzles with exponentiation and zero, wider subtraction only like the 10x10, puzzle 64, in the last book, wider symmetric and non-symmetric with negative numbers (i.e., the symmetric {-4, ... , 4}, puzzle 49, the {-5, ... , 5}, puzzle 50, or the non-symmetric puzzle 48, {-3, ... , 4}, or the 106, {-7, ... , 1}), or large "no-op" like those 9x9's and 10x10's in the book. I am sure the possibilities are infinite to invent new types, new operations and much more difficult puzzles in the future (keeping at the same time the "hobby" concept/level of course :-)).

Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2