View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Anyone else feel that the double calcudoku problems are too 

Posted on: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:25 pm

Post Re: Anyone else feel that the double calcudoku problems are
STRANGE!!!!! I find it strange that only 97 users solved the medium 6x6 twin and yet 463 users solved the difficult 6x6 twin!!! On a personal note, I had to redo it 3 times before I finally got it right......am curious as to how many times it took others?

Posted on: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:11 am

beaker wrote:
STRANGE!!!!! I find it strange that only 97 users solved the medium 6x6 twin and yet 463 users solved the difficult 6x6 twin!!!
That's because only subscribers have access to the 16 Aug 6x6 medium (twin) puzzle (indicated by the word "Medium" being underlined in orange) while everyone can have a go at the 16 Aug 6x6 difficult (twin) puzzle [smile]

Posted on: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:12 am

Wow! Did not even think about that aspect......thank you for the clarification.......but that can't be all of the subscribers and you would think it would be the "other way around"!

Posted on: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:51 am

beaker wrote:
thank you for the clarification
You're welcome [smile]
beaker wrote:
that can't be all of the subscribers
Not every subscriber has the time to solve all the subscribers-only puzzles every day [smile]
beaker wrote:
you would think it would be the "other way around"!
Every day the extra puzzle (which is a no-op on Sundays) and two other puzzles are accessible only to subscribers. But it varies which two other puzzles are subscribers-only. Today the 6x6 difficult (twin) puzzle is locked to non-subscribers while the 6x6 medium (twin) puzzle is accessible to everyone. Yesterday it was the other way around. This variation allows non-subscribers to sample most puzzle types – maybe in the hope they'll become so addicted that they won't want to miss out on any :-)

Posted on: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:35 pm

I like the twins.

Like Clm stated, they are relaxing.

For beginners on this site, having the twins may be an important reason to continue.
I met twins for the first time on this site.

It took me a while before I learned how to do all the various types of puzzles (mod, exponentiation, and the larger puzzles)
I liked it that were some easier types of puzzles.

Last edited by eclipsegirl on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:09 am

Today's 26 rated 5x5 twin has to have a higher rating........either that or my brain took a holiday today........I just could not get the combination of numbers for the left hand side of puzzle for over an hour..........(probably should have taken a break from it after 20 minutes or so but it was just pi ing me off after a while so just kept at it) [cursing]........this was not relaxing!!!

Posted on: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:38 am

beaker wrote:
Today's 26 rated 5x5 twin has to have a higher rating........either that or my brain took a holiday today........I just could not get the combination of numbers for the left hand side of puzzle for over an hour..........(probably should have taken a break from it after 20 minutes or so but it was just pi ing me off after a while so just kept at it) [cursing]........this was not relaxing!!!

Hi, beaker, in my opinion the rating for this 5x5 "difficult" is OK, in fact it's very easy (I assume you are referring to the full twin, of course, unless you have tried to solve the left hand side alone); it's early to provide now a solution (we must wait until the day finishes), tomorrow I will try to show you a very simple tip to solve it in one or two minutes.

Posted on: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:35 pm

Yes, it is easy. It can be solved using plain logic. No trail and error is needed. You will manage!

Posted on: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:13 pm

nicow wrote:
Yes, it is easy. It can be solved using plain logic. No trail and error is needed. You will manage!

with good enough visualization skills no trial n' error is ever needed

Posted on: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:19 am

jaco wrote:
nicow wrote:

with good enough visualization skills no trial n' error is ever needed

Very easy. Right hand puzzle: a1 + b1 + b2 = 7, since the total sum of the two leftmost columns must be 30. As the cage “40x” has the only combination [1, 2, 4, 5], which sum is 12, c1 = 5. Since the product of a1, b1 and b2, is 8, the product of a2 and a3 is 15 (cage “120x” in the left hand puzzle) so a2-a3 = [3, 5].

In the cage “12+” (right hand puzzle), a4 + b3 = 4 (12 - 3 - 5) and not being possible a double 2 (there is already a 2 in a1-b1-b2) it must be b3 = 3, a4 = 1, this forces a2 = 3, a3 = 5, a4 = 1, b3 = 3.

Cage “7+” (right hand puzzle) cann’t be [3, 4] so it must be [2, 5], that is, e2 = 5, e3 = 2 and then: c3 = 4, d3 = 1 and c2 = 1 (cage "2-" in the right hand puzzle).

We complete cage “0-” (up in the left hand puzzle) with d1 = 4 and then d2 = 2, b2 = 4, the rest is trivial and very fast.

Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next