View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Too many weekly points and too few monthly points 

Posted on: Sat May 07, 2016 1:34 pm

Post Too many weekly points and too few monthly points
The rankings are saying I have 705 points in the past week, 506 of which from regular puzzles.
I'm guessing it is counting a day too many somewhere... Patrick?
EDIT: I just noticed I have 68 monthly points...

Posted on: Sat May 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Post Re: Too many weekly points and too few monthly points
This should be better now, let me know.

I'm thinking there is a possible "race condition" somewhere when the daily/weekly/monthly totals are recomputed (right after midnight),
when it coincides with solving a puzzle.

Maybe I should close the site for 1 minute after midnight just to be safe [mellow]

Posted on: Sat May 07, 2016 3:16 pm

It's all fixed now, thanks [thumbsup]

I often solve the smaller puzzles at midnight, right at 0:00. This sometimes does seem to mess up my daily total, and it then also shows some puzzles in green when I actually didn't solve it yet (these would be the puzzles of which the same category puzzle was available the day before). So it might be a good idea to close the site at 0:00 for a minute indeed.

Posted on: Sat May 07, 2016 6:59 pm

jpoos wrote:
I often solve the smaller puzzles at midnight, right at 0:00. This sometimes does seem to mess up my daily total, and it then also shows some puzzles in green when I actually didn't solve it yet (these would be the puzzles of which the same category puzzle was available the day before). So it might be a good idea to close the site at 0:00 for a minute indeed.

I've learned to reload the page until all the green goes away before solving any puzzles. If you don't, the number of points solved today when you hover over your point total sill shows yesterday's points before you've solved any puzzles. It takes a lot less than a minute for this to clear up.

Posted on: Sat May 07, 2016 10:51 pm

mparisi wrote:
jpoos wrote:

I've learned to reload the page until all the green goes away before solving any puzzles. If you don't, the number of points solved today when you hover over your point total sill shows yesterday's points before you've solved any puzzles. It takes a lot less than a minute for this to clear up.

Never thought of that, I guess I will start doing that [thumbsup]

Posted on: Tue May 10, 2016 10:22 am

jpoos wrote:
So it might be a good idea to close the site at 0:00 for a minute indeed.

This has now been implemented.

You'll see a "please wait etc." dialog until about 60-70 seconds after midnight,
after which the page will automatically reload.

(I put the random range 60-70 to avoid having too many reload requests at the same time)

Let me know how this works (if you happen to be online the first minute after midnight of course [mellow] )

Posted on: Wed May 11, 2016 12:23 am

It seemed to be working fine for me [biggrin]

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]