View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 methods to solve 

Posted on: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Post methods to solve
Are most people using programming, spreadsheets or other computer assisted methods to solve these? I've picked up a couple tips and use some tactics from doing a lot of cross sums but its all done by hand so I struggle with the difficult or really large puzzles.

Posted on: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:34 pm

Post Re: methods to solve
fb_21179 wrote:
Are most people using programming, spreadsheets or other computer assisted methods to solve these? I've picked up a couple tips and use some tactics from doing a lot of cross sums but its all done by hand so I struggle with the difficult or really large puzzles.

My guess is that a (very) small minority use programs.

It's more fun solving them yourself anyway :-)

Posted on: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:37 pm

The larger puzzles can indeed be quite difficult, sometimes even impossible using only 'basic' strategies. That's where trial and error often is my saviour [biggrin]

Posted on: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:45 pm

I am glad that someone else admitted to trial and error.

I use that method on particularly challenging 8 x 8s or 9 x 9s, when I am down to two or three possibilities.

With the largest ones, 12 x 12s or 15 x 15s, I do all the (easy) stuff that you are supposed to do.
Then I stare at them until I see something that I missed.
I do not use trial and error on those, too many possibilities

Last year, I completed one of the books of large puzzles for points.
It was all 12 x 12 puzzles.
With practice, most people improve their skill at a task, and that happened with me.

Posted on: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:09 pm

For the larger puzzles I can't solve them without a spreadsheet, to do calculations (summation of columns, or multiplications)
Otherwise I make to many errors.

I also use spreadsheet to perform if ... then calculations; If I put the 3 here, what should be the result there.

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:42 am

I'm not being deliberately provocative here, but I would have thought that the whole point of doing these is to exercise your brain and using any computer programs to help solve them kind of defeats the entire purpose.

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:43 am

paulv66 wrote:
... the whole point of doing these is to exercise your brain and using any computer programs to help solve them kind of defeats the entire purpose.

You forget about the brain exercise of writing the program [wink]

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:56 am

pnm wrote:
paulv66 wrote:
... the whole point of doing these is to exercise your brain and using any computer programs to help solve them kind of defeats the entire purpose.

You forget about the brain exercise of writing the program [wink]

Fair point. And figuring out how to write the program is excellent mental exercise. But once you've done it, using it over and over again to solve puzzles seems kind of pointless (once you're satisfied that it works correctly).

But then again, I spend far too much time doing these puzzles and sometimes run out of time on days when I have a lot of other commitments, so maybe I should consider how to use my time more effectively.

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:27 am

In the end people can solve the puzzles whichever way they like.

For the book puzzles, you can type in the solution from the back of the book for points, for example..

The only thing that's not allowed is using software to cheat at the timed puzzles.

Posted on: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:30 am

When i first started doing the Calcudokus on this site I could do the 4's & 5's (sometimes struggled with the 5 difficult) & 6 easy.

Over time I got better & better & could do 4,5 & 6 easy/medium each day but still struggled on the 6 difficult. Then after reading through CLM's helpful guides in Solving Strategies & Tips part of the forum it all started to make sense & now I can do all up to the 9's & the Friday 10 (my favourite puzzle). I think I may have even finished a 12 once but due to time constraints don't usually start it, With the guides I've even managed to do the bitwise & exponention puzzles but with time I don't do these all the time either. I don't do the puzzles for points I just like doing them to get my old Brain ticking over, I'll never get near the top times in the fastest (I forget they even exist most times LOL) but enjoy doing them from time to time to compete against myself.

I urge anyone struggling with the larger puzzles to have a good look through the Solving strategies & tips section in particular the parity & step by step guides.

Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]