View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Older users 

Posted on: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:53 am

Post Re: Older users
I often use trial and error when solving the harder puzzles, but at the same time I'm mad at myself for not figuring out the logical solution I know exists...

But now I'm not as obsessed on solving every puzzle every day, my main thing is to wake up in the morning and drink a cup coffee, then start solving the puzzles. Usually I solve the 4x4-6x6 puzzles and start doing the timed ones (hoping the caffeine has had time to work its magic [biggrin] ). And then solve the harder ones and sudokus at work or after work.

I did find the site at work about four years ago, and now I'm 32. So if ages vary from 13 to 71, I'm almost a middle aged calcudoku solver :-)

Posted on: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:36 am

jpoos wrote:
On days with no really difficult puzzles (like patterned 9x9's or 15x15's), I can solve everything in 45 minutes or less (my record is about 30 minutes).

For reference, today I solved everything (that includes the easy and medium sudoku, and the timed puzzles (which I may or may not all solve (but I do try them all))) in just about exactly 30 minutes.

Last edited by jpoos on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:26 am

It took me an hour and 5 minutes today from when I started to when I finished. Probably an hour in actual puzzle time. That includes all the non subscriber puzzles apart from the easy sudoku.

Posted on: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:35 am

There is now way this "older" user could do all the puzzles in such a short time.......I certainly wish I could as that would free up a lot of extra time for other pursuits [crying] ........just curious as to what is "about exactly" 30 minutes [confused]

Posted on: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:46 am

beaker wrote:
There is now way this "older" user could do all the puzzles in such a short time.......I certainly wish I could as that would free up a lot of extra time for other pursuits [crying] ........just curious as to what is "about exactly" 30 minutes [confused]

Well, when I was done I looked at the pc clock, which showed 00:30:50, so, considering you can start solving puzzles from 00:01:00, it took me 29:50, which I consider to be about exactly 30 minutes.

Posted on: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:08 am

OK......I can see that.......a little off topic, but I'm sure most of you will know the answers to 2 questions I have: 1) why is the "#" called "hashtag"?
2) what is "&amp"
Why and how are these 2 used and who comes up with these "don't know what you would call them?"....... [confused]

Posted on: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:32 am

'#' is called number sign or hash. A word that begins with a # is a hash_tag: it can be found easily. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

Also see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampersand

Posted on: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:46 pm

beaker wrote:
OK......I can see that.......a little off topic, but I'm sure most of you will know the answers to 2 questions I have: 1) why is the "#" called "hashtag"?

I don't know how the number sign came to be called a hash, but it makes sense when you come across a hashtag - the word is tagged with a hash, thus becoming a hashtag.

Posted on: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:24 pm

marblevolcano wrote:
beaker wrote:

I don't know how the number sign came to be called a hash, but it makes sense when you come across a hashtag - the word is tagged with a hash, thus becoming a hashtag.

I first heard it called a hash instead of 'number sign' or 'pound sign' in the late nineties by coders who also called the exclamation point a 'bang'. More recently I heard that it might be derived from crosshatch, as a description of the four intersecting lines.

Posted on: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:50 pm

beaker wrote:
2) what is "&amp"

these (probably "&" should not be visible on a web page.

The ampersand is used to specify special characters in HTML (the "markup language" used for web pages).

Of course then the ampersand itself also becomes a special character, and is specified by "&"

So if you see the full "&" somewhere on a web page, instead of just the ampersand, then something went wrong..

Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next